Thermoanalytical investigations on the sol-gel synthesis of YBa2Cu3O72212;δ
- 33 Downloads
The high temperature superconducting compound YBa2Cu3O72212;δ (Y-123) is synthesised by sol-gel process using various precursors viz., acetate, acetate-citrate, nitrate-citrate and acrylamide. The phase purity of the final product depends on the homogeneity of the gels which intern depends on the bonding of the metal ions in the gels. The samples prepared by acrylamide and nitrate-citrate gel routes yielded phase pure Y-123 compound with better superconducting properties. The mechanism of formation of Y-123 in all these four gel routes is established by characterising the gels and intermediate phases using TG, DTA and XRD techniques. Kinetic analysis is carried out on the mass loss data using the method proposed by Phadni's and Deshpande. Avrami-Erofeev nuclei growth in case of acrylamide, diffusion controlled process in nitrate-citrate and phase boundary reaction mechanisms in case of acetate-citrate gels are found to be responsible for the formation of Y-123 phase.
Keywordsreaction mechanisms sol-gel superconductors thermoanalytical techniques
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.U. V. Varadaraju and G. V. Subba Rao in A. V. Narlikar, (Ed.) Studies of High Temperature Superconductors, Nova Science Publishers, New York 1989, p. 229.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Kozuka, T. Umeda, J. Jin, T. Monde and S. Sakka, Bull. Inst. Chem. Res. Kyoto Univ., 66 (1988) 80.Google Scholar
- 18.M. I. Pope and M. D. Judd, Differential Thermal Analysis, A Guide to the Technique and its Applications, Heydon and Sons Ltd., London 1977, p. 24.Google Scholar
- 20.E. Ruckenstein, S. Narain and N. L. Wu, J. Mater. Res., 4 (1989) 361.Google Scholar
- 21.V. Minopoulou, K. M. Forster, J. P. Formica, J. Kulik, J. T. Richardson and D. Luss, J. Mater. Res., 9 (1994) 275.Google Scholar
- 23.N. L. Wu, T. C. Wei, S. Y. Hou and S. Y. Song, J. Mater. Res., 5 (1990) 2056.Google Scholar
- 25.G. Selvaduray, C. Zhang, U. Balachandran, Y. Gao, K. L. Merkle, H. Shi and R. B. Poeppel, J. Mater. Res., 7 (1992) 283.Google Scholar