Metabolic utilization was measured by the increase in life duration of adults receiving a low concentration of alcohol as the sole energy source. Flies were able to use primary alcohols as food in the following order: butanol > ethanol > propanol. Methanol and secondary alcohols were not metabolized. These results cannot be explained by considering only the specific activity of alcohol dehydrogenase upon these substrates.
KeywordsAlcohol Methanol Energy Source Butanol Propanol
- 2.J.A. McKenzie and P.A. Parsons, Oecologia, Berl.10, 373 (1972).Google Scholar
- 3.J.R. David, Annls Biol.16, 451 (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.J.R. David, P. Fouillet and M.F. Arens, Archs Zool. exp. gén.115, 401 (1974).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Van Herrewege and J.R. David, C. r. Acad. Sci. Paris.279, 335 (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.J. van Herrewege and J.R. David, Experientia34, 163 (1978).Google Scholar
- 13.J. Van Herrewege and J.R. David, in preparation.Google Scholar