Specificity of new peptide immunoassays versus other immunoassays and agglutination tests for detection of HIV antibody in African Sera
- 27 Downloads
The specificity of three HIV EIAs using synthetic peptides was evaluated and compared with that of four commercial EIAs using recombinant proteins or whole virus lysates of HIV-1 or of HIV-1 and HIV-2, and of two tests based on agglutination of sensitized particles. A total of 734 West African sera were screened. The best results were obtained with tests using recombinant proteins. HIV tests using synthetic peptides able to distinguish between HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibodies showed comparable specificity, but some false negative results represent a major handicap of these peptide EIAs in screening for HIV antibodies.
KeywordsPeptide Internal Medicine Recombinant Protein Synthetic Peptide False Negative Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barré-Sinoussi F, Chermann JC, Rey F, Nugeyre MT, Chamaret S, Gruest J, Daugut C, Axler-Blin C, Brun-Vezinet F, Rouzioux C, Rozenbaum W, Montagnier L Isolation of a T-lymphotropic retrovirus from a patient at risk for acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Science 1983, 220: 868–871.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ayres L, Avillez F, Garcia-Benito A, Deinhardt F, Gürtler L, Denis F, Léonard G, Ranger S, Grob P, Joller-Jemelka H, Hess G, Seidl S, Flacke H, Simon F, Brun-Vezinet F, Sondag D, André A, Hampl H, Schoen R, Stramer S, Troonen H Multicenter evaluation of a new recombinant enzyme immunoassay for the combined detection of antibody to HIV-1 and HIV-2. AIDS 1990, 4: 131–138.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Denis F, Léonard G, Sangaré A, Gershy-Damet GM, Rey JL, Soro B, Schmidt D, Mounier M, Verdier M, Baillou A, Barin F Comparison of ten enzyme immunoassays for detection of antibody to human immunodeficiency virus type 2 in West African sera. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1988, 26: 1000–1004.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Rayfield M, De Cock K, Heyward W, Goldstein L, Krebs J, Kwok S, Lee S, McCormick J, Moreau JM, Odehouri K, Schochetman G, Sninky J Mixed human immunodeficiency virus infection in an individual: demonstration of both HIV type 1 and type 2 proviral sequences by using polymerase chain reaction. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1988, 158: 1170–1176.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Hahn BH, Gonda MA, Shaw GM, Popovic M, Hoxie JA, Gallo RC, Wong-Staal F Genomic diversity of the acquired immune deficiency syndrome virus HTLV-III: different viruses exhibit greatest divergence in their envelope genes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 1985, 82: 4813–4817.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Franchini G, Fargnoli KA, Giombini F, Jagodzinski L, De Rossi A, Bosch M, Biberfeld G, Fenyo M, Albert J, Gallo RC, Wong-Staal F Molecular and biological characterization of a replication competent human immunodeficiency type 2 (HIV-2) proviral clone. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 1989, 86: 2433–2437.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.De Leys R, Vanderborght B, Vanden Haesevelde M, Heyndrickx L, Van Geel A, Wauters C, Bernaerts R, Saman E, Nijs P, Willems B, Taelman H, Van Der Groen G, Piot P, Tersmette T, Huisman JG, Van Heuverswyn H Isolation and partial characterization of an unusual human immunodeficiency retrovirus from two persons of West-Central African origin. Journal of Virology 1990, 64: 1207–1216.PubMedGoogle Scholar