Atypical presentation of multisystem disorders in two girls with mitochondrial DNA deletions
- 51 Downloads
We describe two girls with atypical presentations of multisystem disorders due to deletions in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). One presented with painful carpopedal spasms due to hypoparathyroidism at the age of 4 years. The disease was rapidly progressive with development of truncal and limb ataxia, spastic paraparesis, muscle weakness and wasting, pigmentary retinal degeneration and sensorineural hearing loss. She had short stature and vitiligo patches, hirsutism, anaemia, diabetes mellitus and exocrine pancreatic dysfunction. The other girl presented at the age of 6 years with polydipsia, polyuria and fatigue due to renal tubular dysfunction. The disease was insidiously progressive with poor growth and development of sensorineural hearing loss, muscle weakness and truncal and limb ataxia. Morphological, enzyme histochemical and biochemical investigations indicated mitochondrial dysfunction of skeletal muscle, liver and kidney in one patient and of skeletal muscle and liver in the other. Both patients had large proportions of mtDNA molecules with deletion in liver, kidney, skeletal muscle and blood cells.
It may be concluded that symptoms from several different organs may be the first manifestation of a mtDNA deletion disorder.
Key wordsMitochondrial DNA Renal tubular disease Hypoparathyroidism Diabetes mellitus Liver disease
cytochrome c oxidase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Harvey JN, Barnett D (1992) Endocrine dysfunction in Kearns-Sayre syndrome. Clin Endocrinol 37:97–104Google Scholar
- 9.Kadowaki T, Kadowaki H, Mori Y, Tohe K, Sakuta R, Suzuki Y, Tanabe Y, Sakura H, Awata T, Goto Y-i, Hayakawa T, Matsuoka K, Kawamori R, Kamada T, Horai S, Nonaka I, Haguka R, Akanuma Y, YazAki Y (1994) A subtype of diabetes mellitus associated with a mutation of mitochondrial DNA. N Engl J Med 330:962–968CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Moraes CT, DiMauro S, Zeviani M, Lombes A, Shanske S, Miranda AF, Nakase H, Bonilla E, Werneck LC, Servidei S, Nonaka I, Koga Y, Spiro AJ, Brownell KW, Schmidt B, Schotland DL, Zupanc M, De Vivo DC, Schon EA, Rowland LP (1989) Mitochondrial DNA deletions in progressive external ophthalmoplegia and Kearns-Sayre syndrome. N Engl J Med 320:1293–1299PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Rötig A, Cormier V, Chatelain P, Francois R, Saudubray J-M, Rustin R, Munnich A (1992) Deletion of mitochondrial DNA in a case of early-onset diabetes mellitus, optic atrophy and deafness (Wolfram syndrome, MIM 222300). J Clin Invest 91:1095–1098Google Scholar
- 27.Superti-Furga A, Schoenle E, Tuchschmid P, Caduff R, Sabato V, Demattia D, Gitzelmann R, Steinmann B (1993) Pearson bone marrow-pancreas syndrome with insulin-dependent diabetes, progressive renal tubulopathy, organic aciduria and elevated fetal hemoglobin caused by deletion and duplication of mitochondrial DNA. Eur J Pediatr 152:44–50PubMedGoogle Scholar