Evidence of free radical (FR) involvement in ischemic colitis
- 21 Downloads
Early ischemic colitis was induced in rats to evaluate the roles of FRs and intraluminal content. After 30 minutes of ischemia, biopsies for histology, conjugated dienes (CD) and malonaldehyde (M), presumptive marker of lipid peroxidation, were obtained at 0, 30, and 60 minutes reperfusion. Histology was unchanged. CD and M were elevated in ischemic and saline controls, and rose progressively during reperfusion; CD and M were essentially the same as non-ischemic controls during reperfusion with intraluminal corticosteroid (c) and Alcide (A). These agents may be beneficial in early ischemic colitis.
KeywordsLipid Ischemia Corticosteroid Free Radical Lipid Peroxidation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. A. Parks, G. B. Buckley, D. N. Granger, S. R. Hamilton and J. M. McCord,Ischemic injury in cat small intestine: Role of superoxide radicals. Gastro. Enterology82, 9–15 (1982).Google Scholar
- J. A. Buese and S. D. Aust,Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods in Enzymology,52, 302–310 (1978).Google Scholar
- M. C. Dalsing, J. L. Grosfeld, M. A. Shiffler, D. W. Vane, M. Hull, R. C. Baehner and T. R. Weber,Superoxide dismutase: A cellular protective enzyme in bowel ischemia. J. Surg. Res.34, 589–596 (1983).Google Scholar
- J. W. L. Robinson and V. Mirkovitch,The roles of intraluminal oxygen and glucose in the protection of the rat intestinal mucosa from the effects of ischemia. Biomed.27, 60–62 (1977).Google Scholar
- B. Grøgaarad, D. A. Parker, D. N. Granger, J. M. McCord and J. O. Forsberg,Effects of ischemia and oxygen radicals on mucosal albumin clearance in intestine. Am. J. Physiol.242, 6448–6454 (1982).Google Scholar
- T. S. Griffen and P. F. Hagihara,Ischemic colitis in rats. Dis. Colon. Rectum25, 638–640 (1982).Google Scholar
- D. M. Douglas, J. C. Russell and D. K. Das,Mechanism of action of a potential wound-healing compounds, alcide. Second International Symposium on Tissue Repair: Biological and Chemical Aspects, Targon Springs, FL 1987.Google Scholar