Interleukin-1 mediated signal transduction associated with synovial cell activation
- 16 Downloads
The early biochemical events that link interleukin-1 (IL-1) receptor occupancy to neutral proteinase production in synovial cells were studied. Addition of human r-IL-1 to human synovial cells in culture stimulated phospholipase A2 (PLA2) activity, inositol trisphosphate production and plasminogen activator (PA) activity in a dose dependent manner with similar EC50 values (0.1–0.5nM). These results, coupled with time courses and other studies, suggest that the IL-1 modulation of PA involves both products of PLA2 and phospholipase C (PLC) activation. On the other hand, the IL-1 induction of collagenase may primarily involve PLC and protein kinase C activation.
KeywordsPlasminogen Activator Collagenase Inositol Mediate Signal Biochemical Event
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. End, J. Uhl, R. Look, T. Garrabrant, F. Persico and E. Mochan,Specificity of rapid protein phosphorylation induced by interleukin-1 in human synovial cells in culture. Arth. Rheum.30, S582 (1987).Google Scholar
- S. C. Gilman, J. Chang, P. R. Zeigler, J. Uhl and E. Mochan,Interleukin-1 activates phospholipase A 2 in human synovial cells. Arth. Rheum.31, 126–130 (1988).Google Scholar
- E. Mochan and S. Rashatwar,Interleukin-1 stimulates inositol phosphate turnover in human synovial cells in culture. Arch. Rheum.31, S 49 (1988).Google Scholar
- E. Mochan, J. Uhl and R. Newton,Evidence that interleukin-1 induction of synovial cell plasminogen activator is mediated via prostaglandin E 2 and cyclic AMP. Arth. Rheum.29, 1078–1084 (1986).Google Scholar
- J. T. Uhl,Interleukin-1 stimulation of human synovial cell plasminogen activator production. Ph.D. dissertation 1986.Google Scholar
- J. Uhl, R. Newton, J. Gross and E. Mochan,Activation of protein kinase C inhibits interleukin-1 stimulation of synovial cell plasminogen activator activity. 14th International Congress Cell Biology, Montreal, Canada, August 1988.Google Scholar
- E. Mochan, B. Ross and J. Uhl,Interleukin-1 stimulates synovial cell plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1). ASCB/ASBMB Meeting, San Francisco, (January 1989).Google Scholar
- C. E. Brinckerhoff,Regulation of collagenase gene expression in synovial cells. J. Rheumatol.14, 61–63 (1987).Google Scholar