Modification of adjuvant inflammation in rats deficient in essential fatty acids
Rats deficient in essential fatty acids (EFA) did not develop as much foot swelling on receiving injections of complete Freund's adjuvant as did normal controls. Both the acute inflammation and the chronic inflammation were affected. This reduction in the chronic phase of adjuvant inflammation was restored to normal levels by feeding a small supplement of corn oil as a dietary source of EFA. Since the EFA are biologic precursors of prostaglandins (PG), the lack of EFA is thought to influence adjuvant-induced inflammation by reducing available PG mediators of inflammation.
KeywordsProstaglandin Normal Control Normal Level Chronic Inflammation Essential Fatty Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.L.L. Sutherland, M.A. Spadaro, V.J.W. Lawrence andF. Quagliata,Suppression of Adjuvant Disease on the Rat by BCG Immunotherapy, J. Rheum.1, suppl. 1, 46 (1974).Google Scholar
- M.W. Whitehouse andD.J. Whitehouse,Inhibition of Rat Adjuvant Arthritis Without Drugs or Antibody Therapy, Arthritis Rheum.,11, 519 (1968).Google Scholar
- E.M. Glenn andJ. Gray,Adjuvant-Induced Polyarthritis in Rats: Biologic and Histologic Background, Am. J. vet. Res.26, 1195 (1965).Google Scholar
- C.W. Denko,35 S and 3 H-proline Incorporation in Rats Deficient in Essential Fatty Acids, J. Rheum to be published 1976.Google Scholar
- G.O. Burr andM.M. Burr,A New Deficiency Disease Produced by the Rigid Exclusion of Fat from the Diet, J. biol. Chem.82, 345–367 (1929).Google Scholar
- D. Van Dorp,Recent Developments in the Biosynthesis and the Analyses of Prostaglandin, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci.180, 181–199 (1971).Google Scholar
- G. Kaley andR. Weiner,Prostaglandin E 1 : A Potential Mediator of the Inflammation Response, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci.188, 338–350 (1971).Google Scholar
- D.A. Van Dorp,Recent Developments in the Biosynthesis and the Analyses of Prostaglandin, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci.180, 181 (1971).Google Scholar
- J.B. Blackham, H. Farmer, H. Radziworick andJ. Westwick,Rabbit Monoarticular Arthritis and Synovial Prostaglandins, Proc. Br. Pharm. Soc, 28–30 March 1973, quoted in:E.H. McQueen,Anti-Inflammatory Drug Mechanisms, Drugs6, 104–117 (1973).Google Scholar
- A. L. Willis,Repeated Injections of Prostaglandin E 2 in Rat Paws Induces Chronic Swelling and a Marked Decrease in Pain Threshold, Ph.D. Thesis at the University of London (1971), quoted in:A.L. Willis andM. Cornelson, Prostaglandins3, 353 (1971).Google Scholar