Characterization of a polyacrylamide gel-induced granuloma in mice: Involvement of arachidonate metabolites
- 26 Downloads
The injection of polyacrylamide gel (Bio Gel P-4, 200–400 mesh) into the subcutaneous area of mice, induced an inflammatory reaction which was characterized by the migration of leukocytes (mainly neutrophils) from the blood vessels towards the polyacrylamide gel. A rapid protein accumulation was observed during the migration of cells towards the inflamed site. Neutrophils released some pro-inflammatory lipids (prostaglandins, leukotriene B4) and lysozyme, these products were assayed in the granuloma exudate at various times of the granuloma formation. In our experimental inflammatory model, the results suggest that neutrophils that are attracted by the polyacrylamide gel produce eicosanoids and lysozyme, which could act synergistically to potentiate cell migration and protein accumulation in the inflamed site.
KeywordsLipid Blood Vessel Prostaglandin Polyacrylamide Cell Migration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. Fontan and R.M. Fauve,Inflammation et résistance antibactérienne, Ann. Immunol. (Inst. Pasteur)134C, 255–264 (1983).Google Scholar
- G.A. Higgs and J.A. Salmon,Cyclo-oxygenase products in carrageenan-induced inflammation, Prostaglandins17, 737–746 (1979).Google Scholar
- T.J. Williams,Prostaglandin E 2,prostaglandin I 2 and the vascular changes of inflammation, Br. J. Pharm.65, 517–524 (1979).Google Scholar
- A.W. Ford-Hutchinson, M.A. Bray, M.V. Doing, M.E. Shipley and M.J.H. Smith,Leukotriene B 4, a potent chemokinetic and aggregating substance released from polymorphonuclear leukocytes, Nature (London)286, 264–265 (1980).Google Scholar
- P.A. Simmons, J.A. Salmon and S. Moncada,The release of leukotriene B 4 during experimental inflammation, Biochem. Pharmac.32, 1353–1359 (1983).Google Scholar
- P.M. Brooks, D. Burton and M. J. Forest,Crystal-induced inflammation in the rat subcutaneous air-pouch, Br. J. Pharmac.90, 413–419 (1987).Google Scholar
- F. Hérodin, P. Calvas, D. Dormont et R.M. Fauve,Inflammation sous-cutané induite chez la souris par le polyacrylamide, Ann. Immunol. (Inst. Pasteur)134C, 401–410 (1983).Google Scholar
- M. A. Bray, F. M. Cunningham, A. W. Ford-Hutchinson and M. J. H. Smith,Leukotriene B 4:a mediator of vascular permeability. Br. J. Pharm.72, 483–486 (1981).Google Scholar
- G.A. Higgs, S. Moncada, J.A. Salmon and K. Seager,The source of thromboxane and prostaglandins in experimental inflammation, Br. J. Pharmac79, 863–868 (1983).Google Scholar