Synergism between cefotaxime and fosfomycin in the therapy of methicillin and gentamicin resistantStaphylococcus aureus infection in rabbits
- 30 Downloads
An experimental model of infected subcutaneous fibrin clots in rabbits was used to study the synergism between cefotaxime and fosfomycin in infection with methicillin and gentamicin resistantStaphylococcus aureus (MGRSA), and to determine the efficacy of a simplified schedule of administration. The bactericidal activity of cefotaxime and fosfomycin against MGRSA was investigated giving the drugs in one full or two divided doses either alone or in combination. The pharmacokinetics of the drugs were correlated with the antibacterial efficacy obtained over 12 hours of treatment. The results confirmed that the combination of cefotaxime and fosfomycin is highly synergistic in experimental MGRSA infection. Higher bactericidal activity was obtained with a regimen of 6-hourly drug administration which resulted in persistent levels of both drugs in serum as well as at the site of infection.
KeywordsInternal Medicine Experimental Model Bactericidal Activity Gentamicin Drug Administration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shanson DC, Kensit JG, Duke R: Outbreak of hospital infection with a strain ofStaphylococcus aureus resistant to gentamicin and methicillin. Lancet 1976, ii: 1347–1348.Google Scholar
- 2.Soussy CJ, Dublanchet A, Cormier M, Bismuth R, Mizon F, Chardon H, Duval J, Fabiani G: Nouvelles résistances plasmidiques deStaphylococus aureus aux aminosides (gentamycine, tobramycine, amikacine). Nouvelle Presse Médicale 1976, 5: 2599–2602.Google Scholar
- 3.Maple PAC, Hamilton-Miller JMT, Brumfitt W: World-wide antibiotic resistance in methicillin-resistantStaphylococcus aureus. Lancet 1989, i: 537–540.Google Scholar
- 7.Brumfitt W, Hamilton-Miller J: Methicillin-resistantStaphylococcus aureus. New England Journal Medicine 1989, 320: 1188–1196.Google Scholar
- 9.Duez JM, Kohli E, Pechinot A, Tremeaux JC, Kazmierczak A: Association entre la fosfomycine et l'oxacilline ou le cefotaxime chez les staphylocoques méticilline résistants et les entérocoques.Google Scholar
- 12.Kazmierczak A, Pechinot A, Tremeaux JC, Duez JM, Kohli E, Portier H: Bactericidal activity of cefotaxime and fosfomycin in cerebrospinal fluid during the treatment of rabbit meningitis experimentally induced by methicillin-resistantStaphylococcus aureus. Infection 1985, 13, Supplement 1: 76–80.Google Scholar
- 15.Sande MA, Korzeniowski OM, Allegro GM, Brennan RO, Zak O, Scheld WM: Intermittent or continuous therapy of experimental meningitis due toStreptococcus pneumoniae in rabbits: preliminary observations on the post-antibiotic effect in vivo. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 1981, 3: 98–109.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Dunnett CW: New tables for multiple comparisons with a control. Biometrics 1964, 20: 482–491.Google Scholar
- 17.Keuls M: The use of the studentized range in connection with an analysis of variance. Euphytica 1952, 1: 112–122.Google Scholar