Ascorbic acid in brown adipose tissue: effect of cold acclimation and high intake of the vitamin
The ascorbic acid content of brown adipose tissue increased 62% when rats underwent cold acclimation; however, the increase was 126% when rats living in the cold were fed a basal diet supplemented with 2% ascorbic acid. These findings suggest a role for ascorbic acid in this tissue during nonshivering thermogenesis.
KeywordsAdipose Tissue Ascorbic Acid Acid Content High Intake Brown Adipose Tissue
- 3.D. O. Foster and M.L. Frydman, Can. J. Physiol. Pharmac.56, 110 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.L.P. Dugal and M. Thérien, Can. J. Res.25, 111 (1947).Google Scholar
- 6.E. Pagé and L-M. Babineau, Can. J. Res.28, 196 (1950).Google Scholar
- 8.M.O. Keith, B.G. Shah, E.A. Nera and O. Pelletier, Nutr. Rep. int.10, 357 (1974).Google Scholar
- 11.G.W. Snedecor, Statistical methods. Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa 1961.Google Scholar