Sensitizing effect of Reverin (pyrrolidinomethyltetracycline) on the radiation damage of rat embryos as compared to its effect on other cell systems
- 15 Downloads
The effect of Reverin (pyrrolidino-methyl-tetracycline) an inhibitor of protein synthesis on radiation damage (mainly in the head region) in 9-day-old rat embryos has been investigated and compared with its effects on other cell systems. An administration of 91.0 mg/kg body weight Reverin alone had a teratogenic effect. If Reverin was injected i.m. or i.p. 1 hour before irradiation the number of eye anomalies in 13-day-old fetuses was increased from 25.8% (irradiation only) to 58.8%.
This enhanced effect was not due to an additive but to a synergistic mechanism. However Reverin failed to show synergistic effects on growth of Ehrlich carcinoma cells in ascites- and solid form as on chromosomal aberrations of normal chinese hamster cells, the death rate of irradiated chinese hamster cells was sensitized. It is proposed that tetracyclines act mainly on the immediate repair by blocking repair enzyme systems or by depression of energy metabolism. Differences in the reactions of other cell systems can be explained by a different biological relevance or vulnerability of repair systems.
KeywordsSynergistic Effect Tetracycline Energy Metabolism Enzyme System Cell System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hedi Fritz-Niggli andCh. Michel,Sensibilisierung der Strahlenschädigung von Rattenembryonen durch Demethylchlortetracyclin (Ledermycin), Atomkernenergie (ATKE)18, 105 (1971).Google Scholar
- J. C. Van Meter andJ. J. Oleson,Effect of Aureomycin on the Respiration of Normal Rat Liver Homogenates. Science113, 273 (1951).Google Scholar
- T. M. Brody, Ruth Hurwitz andJ. A. Bain,Magnesium and the Effect of the Tetracycline Antibiotics on Oxidative Processes in Mitochondria, Antibiotica Chemother.4, 864–870 (1954).Google Scholar
- O. A. Gomazkov,Mechanism of Action of Tetracycline Antibiotics, Vop. med. Khim.9, 393 (1963).Google Scholar
- Ch. Michel,chemische Sensibilisierung von Strahlenschädigungen bei Rattenembryonen, Arch. Klaus-Stift. Vererbforsch.43/44, (1969), Diss. (Zürich 1970).Google Scholar
- F. Keusch, G. Mindeck andHedi Fritz-Niggli,Zur Frage der Sensibilisierung strahleninduzierter Schäden durch Reverin bei Zellkulturen, inL Experientia (Union Schweiz. Ges. Exp. Biol. Berichte der 5. Jahresversammlung, Mai 1973).Google Scholar
- G. Suarez andD. Nathans,Inhibition of Aminoacyl-sRNA Binding to Ribosomes by Tetracycline, Biochem. biophys. Res. Commun.18, 743 (1965).Google Scholar
- Helga Kersten,Changes in the Properties of Ribosomes and Transfer RNA-Induced by Inhibitors of Protein Synthesis, in:Progress in Molecular and Subcellular Biology 2, Proc. Res. Symp. on Complexes of Biologically Active Substances with Nucleic Acids and their Modes of Action, p. 58–68 (Eds F. E. Hahn, T. T. Pick, G. F. Springer, W. Szybalski, K. Wallenfels; Washington, March 1970, Springer-Verlag 1971).Google Scholar
- Hedi Fritz-Niggli,Die Bedeutung des Repairsystems für die relative biologische Wirksamkeit von Strahlen verschiedener Qualität; eine Zwei-System-Theorie, Strahlentherapie135/2, 202–212 (1968).Google Scholar