Immunity and immunization of children against diphtheria in Sweden
- 42 Downloads
The level of immunity to diphtheria and the effect of vaccination with different doses of diphtheria toxoid was investigated. The 457 study children, 6, 10 and 16 years of age, had as infants received routine primary vaccination with three doses of diphtheria-tetanus-toxoid or diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, and the 16 year-olds also had received a booster dose of tetanus with a small dose of diphtheria at the age of ten. Prior to the study booster, 15 % of the 6-year-olds had antitoxin levels against diphtheria <0.01 IU/ml, the given minimum level for protection. Of the 10-year-olds, 48 % had titres <0.01 IU/ml, while the corresponding figure for the 16-year-olds was 24 %. After a booster injection of 0.1, 0.25 or 0.5 ml of diphtheria-tetanus vaccine, more than 97 % of the children showed titre levels ⩾0.1 IU/ml, while levels of ⩾1 IU/ml, indicating titres sufficient for long-term protection, were attained by 23–96 %. Systemic reactions were few and moderate. Local reactions were of little clinical significance. In a group of 5-years-olds given diphtheria-tetanus primary vaccinations over wider intervals, only 1.4 % had antitoxin titres <0.01 IU/ml. The results show a need for serologic monitoring of vaccination programmes.
KeywordsSystemic Reaction Tetanus Minimum Level Small Dose Diphtheria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Björkholm, B., Böttiger, M., Christenson, B., Hagberg, L. Antitoxin antibody levels and the outcome of illness during an outbreak of diphtheria among alcoholics. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Disease 1986, 18: 235–239.Google Scholar
- 4.Christenson, B., Böttiger, M. Serological immunity to diphtheria in Sweden in 1978 and 1984. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Disease 1986, 18: 227–233.Google Scholar
- 5.Miyamura, K., Nishio, S., Ito, A., Murata, R., Kono, R. Micro-cell culture method for determination of diphtheria toxin and antitoxin titres using VERO cells. I. Studies of factors affecting the toxin and antitoxin titration. Journal of Biological Standardization 1974, 2: 189–201.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Miyamura, K., Tajiri, E., Ito, A., Murata, R., Kono, R. Micro-cell culture method for determination of diphtheria toxin and antitoxin titres using VERO cells. II Comparison with the rabbit skin method and practical application for sero-epidemiological studies. Journal of Biological Standardization 1974, 2: 203–209.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ipsen, J. Circulating antitoxin at the onset of diphtheria in 425 patients. Journal of Immunology 1946, 54: 325–447.Google Scholar
- 12.Stallkamp, B., Höring, R., Treng, L. Zum aktuellen Stand der Tetanus Prophylaxe. Deutsche Medizinische Wochenschrift 1974, 991: 2579–2586.Google Scholar