The modulation of histamine release by alpha-Adrenoceptors: Evidences in murine neoplastic mast cells
Murine neoplastic mast cells which have been loaded with exogenous labelled histamine, released14C-histamine when exposed to increasing concentrations of phenylephrine and noradrenaline. Adrenaline was only slightly effective, while isoprenaline and dibutyryl-cyclic-AMP were fully inactive. The release of histamine evoked by alpha-adrenergic agonists was antagonized by phentolamine, and left unchanged by practolol and cocaine. It is concluded that alpha-adrenoceptors may be valuable in evoking histamine release by murine neoplastic mast cells.
KeywordsCocaine Mast Cell Histamine Noradrenaline Adrenaline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E.M. Singleton andS.L. Clark,The Response of Mast Cells to Compound 48–80, Studied with the Electron Microscope, J. Lab. Invest.14, 1744 (1965).Google Scholar
- A. Goth andA.R. Johnson,Current Concepts on the Secretory Function of Mast Cells, Life Science16, 1201 (1975).Google Scholar
- F. Moroni, E. Buiatti andP.F. Mannaioni,Uptake and Metabolism of Histamine by Neoplastic Mast Cells, Pharmacol. Res. Comm.4, 5 (1972).Google Scholar
- R. Fantozzi, F. Franconi, P.F. Mannaioni, E. Masini andF. Moroni,Interaction of Histamine H 1 and Metabolism by Guinea-Pig Isolated Atrium and Mouse Neoplastic Mast Cells in vitro, Br. J. Pharmac.53, 569 (1975).Google Scholar
- R.P. Ahlquist,A Study of the Adrenotropic Receptors, Am. J. Physiol.153, 586 (1948).Google Scholar
- F. Ledda andP. Marchetti,Effects of Phentolamine on Transmembrane Action Potentials of Single Purkinje Fibres of Sheep Heart, Pharmacol. Res. Comm.3, 155 (1971).Google Scholar
- L.M. Lichtenstein,Sequential Analysis of the Allergic Response: Cyclic AMP, Calcium and Histamine, Int. Archs. Allergy Appl. Immun.49, 143 (1975).Google Scholar
- A.R. Johnson andN.C. Moran,Inhibition of the Release of Histamine from Rat Mast Cells: The effect of Cold and Adrenergic Drugs on Release of Histamine by Compound 48/80 and Antigen, J. Pharmacol.175, 632 (1970).Google Scholar
- L. Zilletti, A. Guidotti andP.F. Mannaioni,Interferenza della noradrenalina e del pronetalolo sulla liberazione d'istamina dalle cellule peritoneali di ratto in vitro, Arch. It. Sci. Farmacol.15, 34 (1965).Google Scholar