Modulation of protein synthesis in primary myogenic cells from chicken by cultivation in the serum-free, hormonally defined medium ‘DMN’
Chicken muscle cells secrete characteristic proteins when grown in the serum-free and hormonally defined culture medium ‘DMN’. The most prominent band detected by gel electrophoresis represents a protein of mol.wt 22,000. Fibroblasts released a mol.wt 16,000 protein and fibronectin (mol.wt 220,000) into the medium. The mol.wt 22,000 protein band resolved in 2 dimensional gels into 2 spots which migrated to the same positions as small heat shock proteins as well as butyrate-inducible proteins (BIP) which can be demonstrated in whole cell extracts after butyrate treatment in the presence of serum. The synthesis and release of the mol.wt 22,000 protein is repressed by supplementing the culture medium with serum but not with chick embryo extract.
KeywordsMuscle Cell Electrophoresis Protein Synthesis Heat Shock Heat Shock Protein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Kelley, P. M., Aliperti, G., and Schlesinger, M. J., In vitro synthesis of heat-shock proteins by mRNAs from chicken embryo fibroblasts. J. biol. Chem.255 (1978) 1277–1286.Google Scholar
- 6.Key, J. L., Lin, C. Y., and Chen, M. Y., Heat shock proteins of higher plants. Proc. natl Acad. Sci. USA78 (1981) 3526–3530.Google Scholar
- 8.Johnston, D., Oppermann, H., Jackson, J., and Levinson, W., Induction of four proteins in chick embryo cells by sodium arsenite. J. biol. Chem.255 (1980) 6975–6980.Google Scholar
- 10.Levinson, W., Oppermann, H., and Jackson, J., Transition series metals and sulfhydryl reagents induce the synthesis of four proteins in eukaryotic cells. Biochim. biophys. Acta606r (1980) 170–180.Google Scholar
- 15.Laemmli, U. K., Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature227 (1970) 600–685.Google Scholar
- 18.Mosher, D. F., Fibronectin. Prog. Hemostasis Thromb.5 (1980) 111–151.Google Scholar