Space-time distribution of small earthquakes at Phlegraean Fields, south-central Italy
- 48 Downloads
A preliminary statistical analysis of the space-time distribution of small seismic events in the volcanic area of Phlegraean Fields, south-central Italy, was done on the basis of a catalogue of earthquakes recorded by the local seismic stations in the period January 1, December 31, 1983.
The non-random character of the sequence has been tested by matching the observed time-dstribution of seismic events with the theoretical Poisson process.
A clustered occurrence of seismic events seems to be the main cause of the departure from a Poisson process as the inter-arrival times distribution clearly shows.
Furthermore, the non-random behaviour of the events space-time distribution mainly due to quiescient and clustered recursive seismic phases could be studied by using the method proposed byVon Seggernet al. (1981). The analysis and the space-time diagrams confirm the swarm-type character of the entire seismic sequence.
KeywordsTime Distribution Poisson Process Seismic Event Sedimentology Seismic Station
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- De Natale, G., Zollo, A., Del Gaudio, C., Ricciardi, G.P., Martini, M., 1984,Error Analysis in the Hypocentral Location in the Phlegraean Fields. Bull. Vulcanol.,47-2.Google Scholar
- Dobrovolski, J.P., Zubkov, S.I., Miachkin, V.I., 1979,Estimation of the Size of Earthquake Preparation Zones. Pageoph,117, p. 1025–1044.Google Scholar
- Kagan, Y.Y., Knopoff, L., 1976,Statistical Search for Non-random Features of the Seismicity of Strong Earthquakes. Phiys. Earth Planet. Int.,12, p. 291–318.Google Scholar
- ——, ——, 1981,Stochastic Synthesis of Earthquake Vatalogs. Journ. Geophys. Res.,86, p. 2853–2862.Google Scholar
- Kanamori, H., 1981,The Nature of Seismicity Patterns Before Large Earthquakes. M. Ewing Series, AGU Mon., n. 4, p. 1–19.Google Scholar
- Osservatorio Vesuviano, 1984,Rapporto sul bradisismo flegreo. Gennaio 1984.Google Scholar
- Parzen, E., 1962,Stochastic Processes. Holden Day, S. Francisco.Google Scholar
- Rikitake, T., 1975,Earthquake Precursors. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am.,65, p. 1133–1162.Google Scholar
- Scarpa, R., Zollo, A., 1984,Distribuzione spazio-temporale degli eventi sismici nell'area Mediterranea. Proc. Il Naz. Conv. GNGTS, CNR, Roma (in press.).Google Scholar
- Shlien, S., Toksoz, M.N., 1970,Clustering Model for Earthquake Occurrence. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am.,60, p. 1765–1787.Google Scholar
- Vere-Jones, D., 1970,Stochastic Models for Earthquake Occurrence. J.R. Stat. Soc.,32 (1, p. 1–45.Google Scholar
- Von Seggern, D., Alexander, S.S., Baag, C.E., 1981,Seismicity Parameters Preceding Moderate to Major Earthquakes. J.G. Res.,86, p. 8325–9351.Google Scholar