The role of medicinal chemistry in drug research
- 102 Downloads
Classical medicinal chemistry, that is molecular modifications of existing bioactive compounds, leading to me-too drugs with value added and often to me-too drugs which will never reach the market or to drugs in another pharmacological field than that originally intended, will be with us for a long time to come. The ultimate goal, however, is of course rational or at least semi-rational drug design. In some instances this goal seems to have already been reached as in the case of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and H2 antagonists. In the (near) future results from the steady progress in molecular biology in combination with computer-assisted drug modelling — possibly coupled with artificial intelligence techniques — will help the medicinal chemist in his efforts to attain this goal.
KeywordsChemistry, pharmaceutical Computers Drug development Molecular biology Research
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sanger GJ, King FD. From metoclopramide to selective gut motility stimulants and 5-HT3 receptor antagonists. Drug Design Deliv 1988;3:273–95.Google Scholar
- 2.Itil TM. Computer EEG profiles of antidepressants. New York: Industrial Pharmacology Futura Publishing Company, 1975:319–51.Google Scholar
- 4.Kugita H, Inoue H, Ikezaki M, Konda M, Takeo S. Synthesis of 1,5-benzothiazepine derivatives. Chem Pharm Bull 1971;19:595–602.Google Scholar
- 5.Stähle H. Clonidine. Chronicles of drug discovery. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1982:87–111.Google Scholar
- 6.Wilhelm M, De Stevens G. Antihypertensive agents. In: Jucker E, ed. Progress in drug research. Vol. 20. Basel: Birkhäuser Verlag, 1976:197–259.Google Scholar
- 9.Ganellin CR. Cimetidine. In: Bindra JS, Lednicer D, eds. Chronicles of drug discovery. Vol. 1. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1982:1–38.Google Scholar
- 10.Cushman DW, Ondetti MA, Cheung HS, Sabo EF, Antonaccio MJ, Rubin B. Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors. Enzyme inhibitors as drugs. London: MacMillan Press, 1980:231–47.Google Scholar
- 11.Soudijn W. Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. Pharm Weekbl [Sci] 1982;4:154–8.Google Scholar