Association of antiphospholipid antibodies with systemic lupus erythematosus in a child presenting with chorea: A case report
- 27 Downloads
A 16-year-old girl, diagnosed 1 year previously as having Sydenham chorea, was found to have systemic lupus erythematosus according to the American Rheumatism Association criteria. She now presented with pulmonary emboli and renal involvement and responded to immunosuppressive and anticoagulant therapy. The high levels of anticardiolipin antibodies returned to normal along with the clinical symptoms.
We suggest that anticardiolipin antibodies are relevant to the development of chorea and thrombo-embolic complications and that these auto-antibodies should be sought for in similar cases.
Key wordsSystemic lupus erythematosus Anticardiolipin antibodies chorea
Systemic lupus erythematosus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Asherson RA, Derksen RHWM, Bouma BN, et al (1987) Chorea in SLE and “lupus-like” disease: association with antiphospholipid antibodies. Semin Arthritis Rheum 16: 253–259Google Scholar
- 2.Herd JK, Medhi M, Uzendoski DM, Saldivar VA (1978) Chorea associated with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: report of 2 cases and review of literature. Pediatrics 61: 308–315Google Scholar
- 3.Ishii Y, Nagasawa K, Mayumi T, Niho Y (1990) Clinical importance of persistence of anticardiolipin antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Rheum Dis 49: 387–390Google Scholar
- 4.Khamashta MA, Gil A, Ancione B, et al (1988) Chorea in systemic lupus erythematosus: association with antiphospholipid antibodies. Ann Rheum Dis 67: 681–683Google Scholar
- 5.Love PE, Santoro SA (1990) Antiphospholipid antibodies: Anticardiolipin and the lupus anticoagulant in SLE and in non-SLE disorders. Ann Int Med 112: 682–698Google Scholar
- 6.May KP, West SG, Moulds J, Kotzin BL (1993) Different manifestations of the antiphospholipid antibody syndrome in a family with SLE. Arthritis Rheum 36: 528–533Google Scholar
- 7.McHugh NJ, Maymo J, Skinner RP, James I, Maddison PJ (1988) Anticardiolipin antibodies, livedo reticularis and major cerebrovascular and renal disease in SLE. Ann Rheum Dis 47: 110–115Google Scholar
- 8.Montes de Oca MA, Babron MC, Bletry O, et al (1991) Thrombosis in SLE: a French collaborative study. Arch Dis Child 66: 713–717Google Scholar
- 9.Saatci U, Kocak H, Aysun S, Orhan V (1977) Systemic lupus erythematosus with chorea. Turk J Pediatr 19: 118–121Google Scholar
- 10.Triplett DA, Brandt JT, Musgrave KA, Orr CA (1988) The relationship between lupus anticoagulants and antibodies to phospholipid. JAMA 259: 550–554Google Scholar