Partial-match retrieval for dynamic files
- 27 Downloads
This paper studies file designs for answering partial-match queries for dynamic files. A partial-match query is a specification of the value of zero or more fields in a record. An answer to a query consists of a listing of all records in the file satisfying the values specified.
The main contribution is a general method whereby certain primary key hasing schemes can be extended to partial-match retrieval schemes. These partial-match retrieval designs can handle arbitrarily dynamic files and can be optimized with respect to the number of page faults required to answer a query.
We illustrate the method by considering in detail the extension of two recent dynamic primary key hashing schemes.
Keywords and phrasespartial-match retrieval dynamic files extendible hashing linear hashing
CR categories3.74 4.33 4.34
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. V. Aho and J. D. Ullman,Optimal partial-match retrieval when fields are independently specified, ACM Trans. Database Syst. 4, 2 (June 1979), 168–179.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Bolour,Optimality properties of multiple-key hashing functions, J. ACM., 26, 2 (April 1979), 196–210.Google Scholar
- 3.W. A. Burkhard,Partial-match retrieval, BIT 16, 1 (1976), 13–31.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Fagin, J. Nievergelt, N. Pippenger and H. R. Strong,Extendible hasing — a fast access method for dynamic files, ACM Trans. Database Syst. 4, 3 (Sept. 1979), 315–344.Google Scholar
- 5.P. Larson,Linear hashing with partial expansions, Proc. 6th Inter. Conf. on Very Large Databases, 1980, 224–232.Google Scholar
- 6.W. Litwin,Linear hashing: a new tool for file and table addressing, Proc. 6th Inter. Conf. on Very Large Databases, 1980, 212–223.Google Scholar
- 7.J. W. Lloyd,Optimal partial-match retrieval, BIT 20 (1980), 406–413.Google Scholar
- 8.J. L. Pfaltz, W. J. Berman and E. M. Cagley,Partial-match retrieval using indexed descriptor files, CACM, 23, 9 (Sept. 1980), 522–528.Google Scholar
- 9.R. L. Rivest,Partial-match retrieval algorithms, SIAM J. Comp. 5, 1 (1976), 19–50.Google Scholar
- 10.J. B. Rothnie and T. Lozano,Attribute based file organization in a paged memory environment, CACM, 17, 2 (Feb. 1974), 63–69.Google Scholar
- 11.T. L. Saaty,Optimization in Integers and Related Extremal Problems, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1970.Google Scholar