Determination of the resistance in series with the membranes of giant axons
- 98 Downloads
Measurements of the resistance in series with the excitable membrane for giant axons of two different phylla (the squidLoligo pealii and the marine wormMyxicola infundibulum) were obtained. Efforts were made to take into account the errors introduced by the finite rise-time of the measuring apparatus. The series resistance value, obtained very quickly by the method described, may be used in setting the compensation potentiometer to offset this resistance in voltage-clamp measurements. Estimates of the resistance of the periaxonal tissue layer were made. Analyses were done on some of the problems involved in attempting to make an unambiguous determination of the series resistance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adelman, W. J., Jr., Palti, Y., Senft, J. P., 1973. Potassium ion accumulation in a periaxonal space and its effect on the measurement of membrane potassium ion conductance.J. Membrane Biol. 13:387Google Scholar
- Adelman, W. J., Taylor, R. E., 1964. Effects of replacement of exteral sodium chloride with sucrose on membrane currents of the squid giant axon.Biophys. J. 4:451Google Scholar
- Carpenter, D. O., Hovey, M. M., Bak, A. F., 1972. Intracellular conductivity measurements in giant neurons, axons and muscle fibers. Society for Neuroscience, Second Annual Meeting (Abstr.)Google Scholar
- Cole, K. S., 1968. Membranes, Ions and Impulses. University of California Press, BerkeleyGoogle Scholar
- Curtis, H. J., Cole, K. S., 1938. Transverse electric impedance of the squid giant axon.J. Cell. Comp. Physiol. 21:757Google Scholar
- Fishman, H. M., 1973. Low impedance capillary-electrode for wideband recording of membrane potential in large axons.Trans. BME 20(5):380Google Scholar
- FizHugh, R., Cole, K. S., 1973. Voltage and current clamp transients with membrane dielectric loss.Biophys. J. 13:1125Google Scholar
- Goldman, L., Schauf, C. L., 1972. Inactivation of the sodium current inMyxicola giant axons: Evidence for coupling to the activation process.J. Gen. Physiol. 19:659Google Scholar
- Taylor, R. E., 1965. Impedance of the squid axon membrane.J. Cell. Comp. Physiol. 66:21Google Scholar