Novel diterpenoid diacylglycerols from marine molluscs: potent morphogens and protein kinase C activators
- 21 Downloads
Five novel 1,2-sn-diacylglycerols with diterpenoid acyl moieties in thesn-1 position were isolated and characterized, together with the corresponding 1,3-sn-diacylglycerols, from three species of dorid nudibranchs molluscs. Their potent activity as morphogens in vivo in theHydra tentacle regeneration assay and their parallel activity as activators of rat brain protein kinase C (PKC) in vitro are reported here. Our findings promote the use of these compounds as useful molecular probes for both in vivo and in vitro studies on the participation of PKC in cell development.
Key wordsProtein kinase C diacylglycerols Hydra marine natural products
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Tilly B. C. and Moolenar W. H. (1989) Inositol lipids in growth factor action. In: Inositol Lipids in Cell Signalling, pp. 485–519, Michell R. H., Drumond A. H. and Downess C. P. (eds), Academic Press, San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- 4.Diamond, L., O'Brien T. G. and Baird W. M. (1980) Tumor promoters and the mechanism of tumor promotion. Advances Cancer Res.32: 1–74Google Scholar
- 5.Cimino G., Gavagnin M., Sodano G., Puliti R., Mattia C. A. and Mazzarella L. (1988) Verrucosin-A and-B, ichthyotoxic diterpenoic acid glycerides with a new carbon skeleton from the Dorid nudibranchDoris verrucosa. Tetrahedron44: 2301–2310Google Scholar
- 6.De Petrocellis L., Di Marzo V., Arcà B., Gavagnin M., Minei R. and Cimino G. (1991) The effect of diterpenoidic diacylglycerols on tentacle regeneration inHydra vulgaris. Comp. Biochem. Physiol.100C: 603–607Google Scholar
- 7.De Petrocellis L., Di Marzo V. and Cimino G. (1993) The possible involvement of protein kinase C and phospholipase A2 activation inHydra tentacle regeneration. Experientia49: 57–64Google Scholar
- 9.Ungur N., Gavagnin M. and Cimino G. (1996) Synthesis of diastereoisomericent-isocopalic acid glycerides. Tetrahedron Letts.37: 3549–3552Google Scholar
- 10.Gustafson K. and Andersen R. J. (1985) Chemical studies of British Columbia nudibranchs. Tetrahedron41: 1101–1108Google Scholar
- 11.Gavagnin M., Spinella A., Cimino G. and Sodano G. (1990) Stereochemistry of ichthyotoxic diacylglycerols from opistobranch molluscs. Tetrahedron Lett.31: 6093–6094Google Scholar