A new explicit three-level difference scheme for the solution of the heat flow equation
- 54 Downloads
A new explicit three-level difference scheme for the numerical solution of the heat flow equation is proposed. The main features of the new scheme are: i) it is unconditionally stable, ii) it is very highly accurate from the point of view of the truncation error, and iii) its solution converges to the solution of the heat equation even if the time and the distance increments tend to zero independently.
KeywordsHeat Flow Computational Mathematic Difference Scheme Heat Equation Truncation Error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Collatz, L.,The Numerical Treatment of Differential Equations, Berlin: English translation, Springer (1966).Google Scholar
- 2.Du Fort, E. C., and S. P. Frankel,Stability conditions in the numerical treatment of parabolic differential equations, MTAC, Vol. 7, p. 135 (1953).Google Scholar
- 3.Forsythe, G. E., and W. R. Wasow,Finite difference methods for partial differential equations, New York: Wiley (1967).Google Scholar
- 5.Mitchell, A. R., and R. P. Pearce,High accuracy difference formulae for the numerical solution of the heat conduction equation, The Computer Journal, Vol. 5, p. 142 (1962).Google Scholar
- 6.Richtmyer, R. D., and K. W. Morton,Difference Methods for Initial-Value Problems, New York: Interscience (1967).Google Scholar