Bounds on a polynomial
- 327 Downloads
Methods are given for isolating and approximating the maxima, minima, and real roots of a polynomial with real coefficients. The methods are based on a variation diminishing property of the Bernstein coefficients of the polynomial and use of a recursive bisection technique.
KeywordsComputational Mathematic Real Root Real Coefficient Bernstein Coefficient Bisection Technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. T. Cargo and O. Shisha,The Bernstein form of a polynomial, Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards, Vol. 70B, No. 1. (1966), 79–81.Google Scholar
- 2.T. J. Rivlin,Bounds on a polynomial, Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards, Vol. 74B, No. 1 (1970), 47–54.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Rokne,Bounds for an interval polyomial, Computing 18, 225–240 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.A. R. Forrest,Interactive Interpolation and Approximation by Bezier Polynomials, Comp. J. Vol. 15, No. 1 (1972), 71–79.Google Scholar
- 5.J. M. Lane and R. F. Riesenfeld,A theoretical development for the computer generation and display of polynomial curves and surfaces, IEEE TPAMI, January, 1980.Google Scholar
- 6.George E. Collins and Ellis Horowitz,The minimum root separation of a polynomial, Mathematics of Computation, Vol. 28, No. 126, (1974), 589–597.Google Scholar
- 7.B. Datt and N. K. Govil,On the location of the zeros of a polynomial, Journal of Approximation Theory 24, 78–82 (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.M. A. Jekins and J. F. Traub,Principles for testing polynomial zerofinding programs, Carnegie-Mellon University Tech. Report, March 1974.Google Scholar
- 9.George E. Collins and Rüdiger Loos,Polynomial real root isolation by differentiation, Proc. 1976 ACM Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, 15–25.Google Scholar
- 10.George E. Collins and Alkiviadis G. Akritas,Polynomial real root isolation using Descartes rule of signs. Proc. 1976 ACM Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, 272–275.Google Scholar