Extensive records of plastid behavior in the North American euoenotheras by the writer and students support in general the conclusions of Stubbe regarding the number of plastid and genome classes and their behavior relative to each other, except that our findings do not make it necessary to distinguish between classes II and III as defined byStubbe.
Clarification of the plastid situation in the North American euoenotheras and their European derivatives makes it easier to visualize the precise manner in which the present groups of races in North America have come into existence. Parviflora I and parviflora II no doubt arose as a result of crosses between population 1 as female and populations 2 and 3 respectively as male.Biennis arose through hybridization between population 2 as female and population 3 as male. It has not been determined which population served as the female and which as the male parent in the crosses between populations 3 and 4 that gave rise to the strigosas.
KeywordsNorth America Clarification Male Parent Present Group Precise Manner
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cleland, R. E.: Cyto-taxonomic studies on certainOenotheras from California. Proc. Amer. Philos. Soc.75, 339–429 (1935).Google Scholar
- —: Species relationships in Onagra. Proc. Amer. Philos. Soc.77, 477–542 (1937).Google Scholar
- — Chromosome structure inOenothera and its effect on the evolution of the genus. Cytologia (Tokyo)22, 5–19 (1957).Google Scholar
- —, andB. L. Hammond: Studies inOenothera cytogenetics and phylogeny. An analysis of segmental arrangements in certain races ofOenothera. Indiana Univ. Publ. Sci. Ser.16, 10–72 (1950).Google Scholar
- Preer, L. B.: A cytogenetic study of certain broad-leaved races ofOenothera. Indiana Univ. Publ. Sci. Ser.16, 160–217 (1950).Google Scholar
- Renner, O.: Zur Biologie und Morphologie der männlichen Haplonten einiger Oenotheren. Z. Bot.11, 305–380 (1919).Google Scholar
- —: Die Scheckung der Oenotherenbastarde. Bot. Zbl.44, 309–336 (1924).Google Scholar
- Steiner, E., andM. S. Schultz: Distribution of incompatibility alleles among the complex-heterozygotes ofOenothera. Science127, 516–517 (1958).Google Scholar
- Stubbe, W.: Genetische Analyse des Zusammenwirkens von Genom und Plastom beiOenothera. Z. Vererb.-Lehre90, 288–298 (1959).Google Scholar