Electron microscopy and electron probe analysis of the Ca-binding sites in the cilia ofParamecium caudatum
Electron-dense deposits were observed at the base of cilia ofParamecium fixed in glutaraldehyde solution containing 5 mM CaCl2. The deposits were probed by X-ray microanalyzer and it was clearly demonstrated that the deposits consisted of calcium and phosphorus.
KeywordsCalcium Microscopy Electron Microscopy Phosphorus CaCl2
- 3.M. E. J. Holwill andJ. L. McGregor, Nature, Lond.255, 157 (1975).Google Scholar
- 4.T. Tsuchiya andK. Takahashi, Annotn. Zool. Japon.45, 63 (1972).Google Scholar
- 9.T. Tsuchiya andK. Takahashi, in press.Google Scholar
- 12.J. L. Oschman, T. A. Hall, P. D. Peters andB. J. Wall, J. Cell Biol.61, 156 (1974).Google Scholar
- 13.B. Satir, C. Schooley andP. Satir, Acta protozool.11, 291 (1972).Google Scholar