Cellular catabolism in apoptosis: DNA degradation and endonuclease activation
- 68 Downloads
Recent research has focused on identifying the biochemical events associated with the apoptotic process. These include specific degradation of the chromatin which was described by Wyllie in 1980 , with the report of the appearance of discretely sized DNA fragments from apoptotic rat thymocytes. The fragments corresponded in size to strands of DNA that were cleaved at internucleosomal regions and create a ‘ladder patterns’ when electrophoresed on an agarose gel. Because of its near universality, internucleosomal DNA degradation is considered a diagnostic hallmark of cells undergoing apoptosis. It is of great interest to identify the enzymes involved, and some of the candidates will be discussed.
Key wordsApoptosis cyclophilin DNA degradation NUC18 endonuclease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Arends M. and Wyllie A. (1991) Apoptosis: mechanisms and roles in pathology. Int. Rev. Expl. Path32: 223–251Google Scholar
- 10.Oberhammer F., Fritsch G., Pavelka M., Froschl G., Tiefenbacher R., Purchio T. and Schulte-Hermann R. (1992) Induction of apoptosis in cultured hepatocytes and in the regressing liver by transforming growth factor-bl occurs without activation of an endonuclease. Toxic. Lett.64/65: 701–704CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Compton M. and Cidlowski J. (1986) Rapid in vivo effects of glucocorticoids on the intergrity of rat lymphocyte genomic DNA. Endocrinology118: 39–45Google Scholar
- 15.Hallick R., Chelm B., Gray, P. and Orozco E. (1977) Use of aurintricarboxylic acid as an inhibitor of nucleases during nucleic acid isolation. Nuc. Acids Res.4: 3055–3064Google Scholar
- 18.Smyth M. Browne K., Thia K., Apostolidis V., Kershaw M. and Trapani J. (1994) Hypothesis: cytotoxic lymphocyte granule serine proteases active target cell endonucleases to trigger apoptosis. Clin. Expl. Pharmacol. Physiol.21: 67–70Google Scholar
- 19.Brown D., Sun X.-M. and Cohen G. (1993) Dexamethasone-induced apoptosis involves cleavage of DNA to large fragments prior to internucleosomal fragmentation. J. Biol. Chem.268: 3027–3039Google Scholar
- 20.Bortner C. and Cidlowski J. (1996) The role of volume regulation in apoptosis. Am. J. Physiology (in press)Google Scholar
- 29.Eastman A. (1994) Deoxyribonuclease II in apoptosis and the significance of intracellular acidification. Cell growth Diff.1: 7–11Google Scholar
- 34.Caron-Leslie L. and Cidlowski J. (1994) Apoptosis: signal transduction and modes of activation. In: Ovarian Cell Interactions: Genes to Physiology, pp. 1–22. New York, Springer-VerlagGoogle Scholar