The effect of maternally administered methadone hydrochloride (5 mg/kg) on brain development of off-spring treated during gestation and/or lactation was studied in 21-day-old rats. Animals treated during gestation or lactation were the most severely affected, with reductions in brain weights (12% and 30%,respectively), and DNA values (50% and 34%, respectively) observed.
KeywordsHydrochloride Brain Development Brain Weight
- 3.R. Ting, A. Keller and L. Finnegan, Proc. 2nd natl Drug Abuse Conf. (1975).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Jurand, J. Embryol. expl Morph.30, 449 (1973).Google Scholar
- 9.I. S. Zagon and P. J. McLaughlin, Expl Neurol.56, 538 (1977).Google Scholar
- 10.W. Schneider, J. biol. Chem.161, 293 (1945).Google Scholar
- 13.J. Altman, in: Developmental Neurobiology, p. 197. Ed. W. A. Himwich. C. C. Thomas, Springfield, III. 1970.Google Scholar