Ischemia aggravating effects of platelet-activating factor in acute myocardial ischemia
- 22 Downloads
The effect of platelet-activating factor (PAF) was studied during the acute phase of myocardial ischemia in cats. PAF infusion (0.75 μg/kg/h for 4.5 h) in anesthetized, open-chest cat decreased arterial blood pressure, but did not influence heart rate or biochemical indices of cell integrity. The same dose of PAF, however, started 30 min after coronary ligation, resulted in a significantly higher elevation of plasma creatine phosphokinase (CK) activity and a reduced CK content in the region of the ischemic myocardium. Treatment with the thromboxane A2 synthetase inhibitor, CGS-13080, significantly attenuated the PAF-aggravated ischemic cellular damage. These experiments suggest that hypoxiagenerated PAF may contribute to the aggravation of myocardial ischemia, part of which appears to be due to PAF-induced release of thromboxane A2.
Key wordscoronary artery occlusion thromboxane synthetase inhibitor ST segment elevation creatine kinase activity arterial blood pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Gorman RR, Morton DR, Hopkins NK, Lin AH (1983) Acetyl glyceryl ether phosphorylcholine stimulates leukotriene B4 synthesis and cyclic AMP accumulation in human polymorphonuclear leukocytes. In: Samuelsson B, Paoletti R, Ramwell P (eds). Adv Prostaglandin, Thromboxane, Leukotriene Res Vol 12. Raven Press, New York, p 57Google Scholar
- 12.Lefer AM, Polansky EW (1979) Beneficial effects of ibuprofen in acute myocardial ischemia. Cardiology 69:265Google Scholar
- 13.Lefer AM, Smith III EF, Araki H, Smith JB, Aharony D, Claremon DA, Magolda RL, Nicolaou KC (1980) Dissociation of vasoconstrictor and platelet aggregatory activities of thromboxane by carbocyclic thromboxane A2, a stable analog of thromboxane A2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 7:1706Google Scholar
- 14.Lefer AM, Smith JB, Müller HF (1984) Pathophysiologic mechanisms of sudden death induced by platelet-activating factor (PAF). (In Press, Br J Pharmacol)Google Scholar
- 19.Ogletree ML, Lefer AM (1976) Influence of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents on myocardial ischemia. J Pharmacol Exp Therap 197:582Google Scholar
- 23.Smith JB, Burke SE, Lefer AM, Freilich A (1984) Continuous measurements of ATP secretion in vivo. Pharmaceut Res 1:40Google Scholar
- 24.Vargaftig BB, Lefort J, Chignard M, Benveniste J (1980) Platelet activating factor induces a platelet-dependent bronchoconstriction unrelated to the formation of prostaglandin derivatives. Europ J Pharmacol 65:185Google Scholar