On the surface instability of elastic half spaces
- 19 Downloads
In this paper, we present some work on the surface instability of elastic half spaces. An analysis of surface instability of an incompressible half space under biaxial loading is summarized, and the critical condition for the onset of surface buckling is given. As an example in the case of compressible materials, the axisymmetric problem of surface instability for a half space made of a standard material is analyzed, and the dependence of buckling parameters on the material is revealed.
KeywordsMathematical Modeling Critical Condition Industrial Mathematic Half Space Standard Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brunelle, E. J., Surface instability due to initial compressive stress,Bulletm of the Seismological Society of America,63, 6 (1973), 1885–1893.Google Scholar
- Biot, M. A.,Mechanics of Incremental Deformations, Wiley (1965).Google Scholar
- Novozhiov, V. V.,Nonlinear Theory of Elasticity, Graylock (1953).Google Scholar
- Dorris, J. F. and S. Nemat-Nasser, Instability of a layer on a half space.J. Appl. Mech.,47 (1980), 304–312.Google Scholar
- Cao Guang-zhong, Surface instability of an incompressible elastic half space — axisymmetric analysis,Journal of East China Engineering Institute. 1 (1984), 1–13. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wu, C. H. and G.-Z. Cao, Buckling of an axially compressed incompressible half space,J. Struct. Mech.,11, 1 (1983), 37–48.Google Scholar
- Cao Guang-zhong, Surface instability of an incompressible elastic half space subjected to biaxial loading,Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica (in press). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wu, C. H. and G.-Z. Cao, Buckling problems in finite plane elasticity — harmonic materials,Quart. Appl. Math.,41, 4 (1984), 461–474.Google Scholar
- Sensenig, C. B., Instability thick elastic solids,Comm. Pure Appl. Math.,17 (1964), 451–491.Google Scholar
- Wu, C. H., Plane-strain buckling of a crack in a harmonic solid subjected to crack-parallel compression.J. Appl. Mech.,46 (1979), 597–604.Google Scholar
- Wu, C. H., Plane-strain backling of cracks in incompressible elastic solids,J. Elast.,10, 2 (1980), 163–177.Google Scholar