Intracellular uptake and α-amylase and lactate dehydrogenase releasing actions of the divalent cation ionophore A23187 in dissociated pancreatic acinar cells
- 34 Downloads
Intracellular uptake of A23187 and the increased release of amylase and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) accompanying ionophore uptake was studied using dissociated acinar cells prepared from mouse pancreas. Easily detected changes in the fluorescence excitation spectrum of A23187 upon transfer of the ionophore from a Tris-buffered Ringer's to cell membranes were used to monitor A23187 uptake. Uptake was rapid in the absence of extracellular Ca2+ and Mg2+ (t1/2=1 min) and much slower in the presence of Ca2+ or Mg2+ (t1/2=20 min). Cell-associated ionophore was largely intracellular as indicated by fluorescence microscopy, lack of spectral sensitivity to changes in extracellular Ca2+ and Mg2+, and by equivalent interaction of ionophore with membranes of whole and sonicated cells.
A23187 (10 μm) increased amylase release 200% in the presence of extracellular Ca2+ and Mg2+. In the absence of Ca2+ (but in the presence of Mg2+) A23187 did not increase amylase release. A23187 (10 μm) also produced Ca2+-dependent cell damage, as judged by increased LDH release, increased permeability to trypan blue, and by disruption of cell morphology. The cell damaging and amylase releasing properties of A23187 were distinguished by their time course and dose-response relationship. A23187 (1 μm) increased amylase release 140% without increasing LDH release or permeability to trypan blue.
KeywordsAmylase Lactate Dehydrogenase Trypan Blue Excitation Spectrum Acinar Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Case, R.M., Clausen, T. 1973. The relationship between calcium exchange and enzyme secretion in the isolated rat pancreas.J. Physiol. (London) 235:75Google Scholar
- Chandler, D.E. 1976. Stimulus-secretion coupling in the exocrine pancreas: Use of the fluorescent probe chlorotetracycline to detect divalent cation redistribution.Fed. Proc. 35:603 (Abstr.)Google Scholar
- Chandler, D.E., Williams, J.A. 1974. Pancreatic acinar cells: Effects of lanthanum ions on amylase release and calcium ion fluxes.J. Physiol. (London) 243:831Google Scholar
- Cochrane, D.E., Douglas, W.W., Mouri, T., Nakazato, Y. 1975. Calcium and stimulus-secretion coupling in the adrenal medulla: Contrasting stimulating effects of the ionophores X-537A and A23187 on catecholamine output.J. Physiol. (London) 252:363Google Scholar
- Foreman, J.C., Mongar, J.L., Gomperts, B.D. 1973. Calcium ionophores and movement of calcium ions following the physiological stimulus to a secretory process.Nature (London) 245:249Google Scholar
- Garcia, A.G., Kirpekar, S.M., Prat, J.C. 1975. A calcium ionophore stimulating the secretion of catecholamines from the cat adrenal.J. Physiol. (London) 244:253Google Scholar
- Hainaut, K., Desmedt, J.E. 1974. Calcium ionophore A23187 potentiates twitch and intracellular calcium release in single muscle fibers.Nature (London) 252:407Google Scholar
- Poulsen, J.H., Williams, J.A. 1976. Pancreatic acinar cell depolarization and amylase release evoked by Ca2+-ionophore A23187 and bethanechol.Fed. Proc. 35:603 (Abstr.)Google Scholar
- Pressman, B.C. 1972. Carboxylic ionophores as mobile carriers for divalent ions.In: The Role of Membranes in Metabolic Regulation M.A. Mehlman and R.W. Hanson, editors. p. 149. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Reed, P.W., Lardy, H.A. 1972a. Antibiotic A23187 as a probe for the study of calcium and magnesium in biological systems.In: The Role of Membrane in Metabolic Regulation, A.M. Mehlman and R.W. Hanson, editors. p. 111. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Russell, J.T., Hansen, E.L., Thorn, N.A. 1974. Calcium and stimulus-secretion coupling in the neurohypophysis. III. Ca2+ ionophore (A23187)-induced release of vasopressin from isolated rat neurohypophysis.Acta Endocrinol. (Copenhagen) 77:443Google Scholar
- Schreurs, V.V.A.M., Swarts, H.G.P., dePont, J.J.H.M., Bonting, S.L. 1976. Role of calcium in exocrine pancreatic secretion. II. Comparison of the effects of carbachol and the ionophore A23187 on enzyme secretion and calcium movements in rabbit pancreas.Biochim. Biophys. Acta 419:320PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Selinger, Z., Eimerl, S., Savion, N., Schramm, M. 1974. A Ca++ ionophore (A23187) simulating hormone and neurotransmitter action in the rat parotid and pancreas glands.In: Secretory Mechanisms of Exocrine Glands, N.A. Thorn and O.H. Petersen, editors. p. 68. Munksgaard, CopenhagenGoogle Scholar
- Wacker, W.E.C., Ulmer, D.D., Vallee, B.L. 1956. Metalloenzymes and myocardial infarction. II. Malic and latic dehydrogenase activities and zinc concentrations in serum.N. Engl. J. Med. 255:449Google Scholar