FEM analysis on mixed-mode fracture of CSM-GRP
- 23 Downloads
A FEM analysis for studying mixed-mode fracture problem of chopped strand mat glass fibre reinforced polyester laminate is presented. The analysis is formulated on the basis of 8-node quadrilateral isoparametric element. The collapsed triangular quarter-point singular elements were used for calculating stress intensity factors KI and KII.
The crack propagation process was computed by implementing constraint release technique. Three different approaches to the solution of stress intensity factors KI and KII were compared. The effect of constraint condition imposed upon the displacement of the three collapsed nodes of the crack tip elements on the KI and KII results was evaluated. The mixed-mode critical stress intensity factors KIC and KIIC were estimated for CSM-GRP through the consideration of KI and KII calculated and the measured failure load and critical crack length in the experiment.
KeywordsStress Intensity Factor Critical Stress Intensity Factor Critical Crack Length Constraint Release Crack Propagation Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Tracy, D. M., Finite elements for determination of crack tip elastic stress intensity factors,Eng. Frac. Mech., 3 (1971), 255–265.Google Scholar
- Henshell, R. D. and K. G. Shaw, Crack tip finite elements are unnecessary,IJNME, 9, 3 (1975), 495–507.Google Scholar
- Pu, S. L., M. A. Hussain and W. E. Lorensen, The collapsed cubic isoparametric element as a singular element for crack problems,IJNME,12, 11, (1978), 1727–1742.Google Scholar
- Wang Ke-jen, Hsu, Chi-lin and Kao, Hua, Calculation of stress intensity factors for combined mode bend specimens.Advances in Research on Strength and Fracture of Materials.4 (1978), 123.Google Scholar
- Shih, C. F., H. G. De Lorenzi and M. D. German, Crack extension modelling with singular quadratic isoparametric elements,Int. J. of Fracture,12 (1976), 647–651.Google Scholar
- Barsoum, R. S., Triangular quarter-point elements as elastic and perfectly-plastic crack tip elements,IJNME,11 (1977), 85–98.Google Scholar
- Yamada, Y., Y. Ezawa and I. Nishiguchi, Reconsiderations on singularity of crack tip elements,IJNME,14, 10 (1979), 1525–1544.Google Scholar
- Sih, G. C. Fracture mechanics of composite materials,Proceedings of First USA-USSR Symposium on Fracture of Composite Materials, Editors G. C. Sih and V. P. Tamuzs, held in Riga, USSR, 4–7 Sep. (1978), 111–130.Google Scholar
- Wang, S. S., J. F. Yau and H. T. Corten, A mixed-mode crack analysis of rectilinear anisotropic solids using conservation laws of elasticity;Inter. J. Fracture,16, 3, June (1980), 247–259.Google Scholar
- Owen, M. J., Biaxial failure of GRP-mechanisms, modes and theories, Composite structures 2:Proceedings of the 2nd International Conferences on Composite Structures, held at Paisley College of Technology, Scotland, 14–16, Sep. (1983), applied Science Publishers (1983). 21–39.Google Scholar