The essentiality of B chain in stabilizing the structure of the A chain in β1-bungarotoxin fromBungarus multicinctus venom
- 14 Downloads
The dynamic of Trp residue inΒ1-bungarotoxin (gb1-Bgt), the A chain ofΒ1-Bgt and phospholipase A2 (PLA2) was assessed by fluorescence measurement. Acrylamide quenching studies showed that the exposure degree of the Trp in PLA2 is higher than the Trp inΒ1-Bgt. The Trp ofΒ1-Bgt had a higher accessibility for iodide, reflecting that the basic nature of the B chain might exert an attractive electrostatic force for iodide and increase the susceptibility of Trp in the A chain to iodide. Removal of the B chain ofΒ1-Bgt did not significantly affect the exposure degree of Trp in the A chain. Alternatively, the polarity of the environment around the Trp and the hydrophobic character of ANS and substrate binding sites in the separated A chain changed. Measurement of Trp fluorescence with increasing temperature showed that the stability of structure ofΒ1-Bgt was higher than those of the separated A chain and PLA2. These results suggest that the B chain might interact with the A chain and stabilize the conformation of the A chain inΒ1-Bgt.
Key wordsSnake venom Trp fluorescence Β1-bungarotoxin role of the B chain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dufton, M. J. (1983).Eur. J. Biochem. 153, 647–654.Google Scholar
- Kondo, K., Narita, K., and Lee, C. Y. (1978a).J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 83, 91–99.Google Scholar
- Kondo, K., Narita, K., and Lee, C. Y. (1978b).J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 83, 101–15.Google Scholar
- Kondo, K., Toda, H., Narita, K., and Lee, C. Y. (1982a).J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 91, 1519–1530.Google Scholar
- Kondo, K., Toda, H., Narita, K., and Lee, C. Y. (1982b).J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 91, 1531–1548.Google Scholar
- Lehrer, S. S., and Leavis, P. C. (1978). InMethods in Enzymology (Hirs, C. H. W., and Timasheff, S. N., eds.), Vol. 49, Academic Press, New York, pp. 222–236.Google Scholar
- Quay, S. C., Heropoulos, A., Commes, K., and Dzau, V. J. (1985).J. Biol. Chem. 260, 15,055–15,058.Google Scholar
- Waite, M. (1987).The Phospholipases, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 155–241.Google Scholar
- Yang, C. C., and Chang, L. S. (1984).J. Protein Chem. 3, 195–213.Google Scholar