Approximating the Shapiro-Wilk W-test for non-normality
- 2.6k Downloads
A new approximation for the coefficients required to calculate the Shapiro-WilkW-test is derived. It is easy to calculate and applies for any sample size greater than 3. A normalizing transformation for theW statistic is given, enabling itsP-value to be computed simply. The distribution of the new approximation toW agrees well with published critical points which use exact coefficients.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davies, C. S. and Stephens, M. A. (1978) Algorithm AS128. Approximating the covariance matrix of normal order statistics.Applied Statistics,27, 206–212.Google Scholar
- Royston, J. P. (1982a) An extension of Shapiro and Wilk'sW test for normality to large samples.Applied Statistics,31, 115–124.Google Scholar
- Royston, J. P. (1982b) Algorithm AS177. Expected normal order statistics (exact and approximate).Applied Statistics,31, 161–165.Google Scholar
- Royston, J. P. (1983) Some techniques for assessing multivariate normality based on the Shapiro-WilkW.Applied Statistics,32, 121–133.Google Scholar
- Royston, P. (1991a) Estimation, reference ranges and goodness-of-fit for the three-parameter lognormal distribution.Statistics in Medicine, in press.Google Scholar
- Royston, P. (1991b) Aspects of goodness-of-fit tests for normality. I. Use of the tests when the data contain ties.Technometrics, submitted.Google Scholar
- Shapiro, S. S. and Francia, R. S. (1972) An approximate analysis of variance test for normality.Journal of the American Statistical Association,67, 215–216.Google Scholar
- Shapiro, S. S. and Wilk, M. B. (1965) An analysis of variance test for normality (complete samples).Biometrika,52, 591–611.Google Scholar
- Shea, B. L. and Scallan, A. J. (1988) AS R72. A remark on Algorithm AS128: approximating the covariance matrix of normal order statistics.Applied Statistics,37, 151–155.Google Scholar
- Verrill, S. and Johnson, A. (1988) Tables and large-sample distribution theory for censored-data correlation statistics for testing normality.Journal of the American Statistical Association,83, 1192–1197.Google Scholar
- Weisberg, S. and Bingham, C. (1975) An approximate analysis of variance test for non-normality suitable for machine calculation.Technometrics,17, 133–134.Google Scholar