Limits to the universality of quantum mechanics
- 87 Downloads
Niels Bohr's arguments indicating the non-applicability of quantum methodology to the study of the ultimate details of life, given in his bookAtomic Physics and Human Knowledge, conflict with the commonly held opposite view. The bases for the usual beliefs are examined and shown to have little validity; significant differences do exist between the living organism and the type of system studied successfully in the physics laboratory. Dealing with living organisms in quantum-mechanical terms with the same degree of rigor as is normal for non-living systems would seem not to be possible without considering also questions of the origins of life and of the universe.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Schrödinger,What is Life; Mind and Matter (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1967), Chap. 3 ofMind and Matter.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Bohm,Wholeness and the Implicate Order (Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, Boston and Henley, 1980), Chap. 1.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Bohm,Unfolding Meaning (Ark, London and New York, 1987), Chap. 3.Google Scholar
- 4.N. Bohr,Atomic Physics and Human Knowledge (Wiley, New York, 1958), Chaps. 2 and 3.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Wigner,Am. J. Phys. 31, 6–15 (1963); reprinted in J. A. Wheeler and W. H. Zurek, eds.,Quantum Theory and Measurement (Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1983), Sec. II.4).Google Scholar
- 6.P. Dirac,The Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1958), Chap. 2.Google Scholar
- 7.J. D. Barrow and F. J. Tipler,The Anthropic Cosmological Principle (Clarendon, Oxford, 1986).Google Scholar
- 8.J. B. Hartle and S. Hawking,Phys. Rev. D28, 2960–75 (1983).Google Scholar
- 9.R. Weber,Dialogues with Scientists and Sages (Routledge & Kegan Paul, London and New York, 1986), Chap. 11.Google Scholar
- 10.C. N. Villars,Psychoenergetics,5, 129–39 (1983).Google Scholar
- 11.H. P. Stapp,Found. Phys. 12, 363–99 (1982).Google Scholar
- 12.M. Conrad, D. Home, and B. Josephson, inMicrophysical Reality and Quantum Formalism, A. van der Merwe, F. Selleri, and G. Tarozzi, eds. (Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 1988).Google Scholar