Gravitational radiation, source behavior, and the method of matched asymptotic expansions
- 45 Downloads
It is conjectured that a suitably modified Bondi-type expansion of the gravitational field in the radiation zone is a rapidly convergent series. It is also conjectured that the source behavior in the inner zone is insensitive to the initial conditions imposed on the gravitational field in solving the initial-value problem in this zone. Consequences of these conjectures for the problem of relating source motion to the Bondi news function are discussed.
KeywordsRadiation Asymptotic Expansion Gravitational Field Gravitational Radiation Convergent Series
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Walker and C. M. Will,Ap. J. 242, L129 (180).Google Scholar
- 2.T. Damour, inGravitational Radiation, N. Deruelle and T. Piran, eds. (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1983);Phys. Rev. Lett. 51, 1019 (1983).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Bondi, M. G. J. van der Burg, and A. W. K. Metzner,Proc. R. Soc. London A 269, 21 (1962).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Ehlers, inIsolated Systems in General Relativity, Proceedings of the International School of Physics Enrico Fermi, Course XLVII, J. Ehlers, ed. (Academic Press, New York, 1979); G. Leipold and M. Walker,Ann. Inst. H. Poincaré 27, XX (1977).Google Scholar
- 15.J. L. Anderson and D. Hobill, to be published.Google Scholar
- 16.R. Bellman and K. L. Cooke,Differential-Difference Equations (Academic Press, New York, 1963).Google Scholar