Hepatosplenic tuberculosis with hypersplenism: CT evaluation
- 38 Downloads
Hepatosplenic tuberculosis of macronodular form is extremely rare. We present one case of hepatosplenic tuberculosis with its appearance on computed tomography (CT). The CT findings of hepatosplenic tuberculosis were multiple, well-defined, round or ovoid, low-density masses with a range of +35 to +45 HU. Lymphadenopathy in the abdominal and mediastinal area and pleural effusion were also found. Although CT does not confirm a diagnosis of hepatosplenic tuberculosis, it is a valuable examination to support the diagnosis and define the extent of disease.
Key wordsLiver, tuberculosis Spleen, tuberculosis CT, hepatosplenic tuberculosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Thoeni RF, Margulis AR: Gastrointestinal tuberculosis.Semin Roentgenol 14:283–294, 1979Google Scholar
- 2.Alvarez SZ, Carpio R: Hepatobiliary tuberculosis.Dig Dis Sci 28:193–200, 1983Google Scholar
- 3.Bhansali SK: Abdominal tuberculosis; experiences with 300 cases.Am J Gastroenterol 67:324–331, 1977Google Scholar
- 4.Hulnick DH, Megibow AJ, Naidich DP, Hilton S, Cho KC, Balthazar EJ: Abdominal tuberculosis; CT evaluation.Radiology 157:199–204, 1985Google Scholar
- 5.Epstein BM, Mann JH: CT of abdominal tuberculosis.AJR 139:861–866, 1982Google Scholar
- 6.Zirinski K, Auh YH, Kneeland JB, Rubenstein WA, Kazam E: Computed tomography, sonography and MR imaging of abdominal tuberculosis.J Comput Assist Tomogr 9:961–963, 1985Google Scholar
- 7.Hanson RD, Hunter TB: Tuberculous peritonitis; CT appearance.AJR 144:931–932, 1985Google Scholar
- 8.Hauser H, Gurret JP: Miliary tuberculosis associated with adrenal enlargement; CT appearance.J Comput Assist Tomogr 10:254–256, 1986Google Scholar
- 9.Leader SA: Tuberculosis of the liver and gallbladder with abscess formation; a review and case report.Ann Intern Med 37:594–606, 1952Google Scholar
- 10.Im JG, Song KS, Kang HS, Park JH, Yeon KM, Han MC, Kim CW: Mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenitis; CT manifestations.Radiology 164:115–119, 1987Google Scholar