The effect of glucagon on esophageal peristalsis and clearance
- 37 Downloads
The effect of 0.5 mg intravenous glucagon on esophageal peristalsis and transit of water and barium was studied in nine healthy subjects by concurrent videofluoroscopy and manometry.
Glucagon lowered manometric peristaltic amplitude in both mid- and distal esophagus. This reached significance (p=0.0075) in the distal 3 cm of the esophagus 2 min after the injection. The efficiency of esophageal stripping was also reduced (increased proximal escape on fluoroscopy), and became significant (p=0.05) at 2 min after the injection of glucagon.
Key wordsEsophageal peristalsis, glucagon Radiology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Miller RE, Chernish SM, Brunelle RL: Gastrointestinal radiography with glucagon.Gastrointest Radiol 4:1–10, 1979Google Scholar
- 2.Kreel L: Pharmacoradiology in barium examinations with special reference to glucagon.Br J Radiol 48:691–703, 1975Google Scholar
- 3.Hogan WJ, Dodds WJ, Hoke SE et al.: Effect of glucagon on esophageal motor function.Gastroenterology 69:160–165, 1975Google Scholar
- 4.Hoke SE, Reid DP, Hogan WJ et al.: The effect of glucagon on esophageal motor function.Clin Res 20:732, 1972Google Scholar
- 5.Jennewin HM, Waideck F, Siewert R et al.: The interaction of glucagon and pentagastrin on the lower esophageal sphincter in man and dog.Gut 14:861–864, 1973Google Scholar
- 6.Jaffer SS, Maklouf GM, Schorr MD et al.: Nature and kinetics of inhibition of lower esophageal sphincter by glucagon.Gastroenterology 67:42–46, 1974Google Scholar
- 7.Haggar AM, Feczko PJ et al.: Spontaneous gastroesophageal reflux during double-contrast upper gastrointestinal radiography with glucagon.Gastrointest Radiol 7:319–321, 1982Google Scholar
- 8.Hogan WJ, Dodds WJ, Hoke SE et al.: Effect of glucagon on esophageal motor function.Gastroenterology 69:160–165, 1975Google Scholar
- 9.Channer KS, Bolton R, Al-Hilli S et al.: The effect of glucagon on the swallowing of capsules.Br J Clin Pharmacol 16:456–460, 1983Google Scholar
- 10.Kahrilas PJ, Dodds WJ, Hogan WJ: Effect of peristaltic dysfunction on esophageal volume clearance.Gastroenterology 94:73–80, 1988Google Scholar