Computed tomography of retained abdominal sponges and towels
- 50 Downloads
The diagnosis of retained sponges and towels a year or more after surgery is often very difficult. We describe the computed tomographic (CT) findings in 4 patients with this complication; 2 cases of retained sponges and 2 cases of retained towels. While the CT appearance of the retained sponges was not specific, the particular appearance of the retained towels had not been previously described. This appearance is characteristic enough to suggest the correct diagnosis before reoperation.
Key wordsForeign bodies Sponges, towels Surgery, complications Abdomen. abscess Computed tomography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Froidevaux A, Vukanovic S, Huber O, Hauser H: Les corps étrangers textiles intra-abdominaux: à propos de 6 cas, expressions cliniques et radiologiques, revue de la littérature.Méd Chir Dig 9:471–477, 1980Google Scholar
- 2.Pascal-Suisse P, Castinel B, Peyron JP, Vergne R, Pringot J: Textile foreign bodies: echotomographic and computed tomography of five cases.J Belge Radiol 65:355–361, 1982Google Scholar
- 3.Sheward JE, Williams AG, Mettler FA, Lacey SR: CT appearance of a surgically retained towel (Gossypiboma).J Comput Assist Tomogr 10:343–345, 1986Google Scholar
- 4.Gupta NM, Chaudhary A, Nanda V, Malik AK, Wig JD: Retained surgical sponge after laparotomy: unusual presentation.Dis Colon Rectum 28:451–453, 1985Google Scholar
- 5.Parienty RA, Pradel J, Lepreux JF, Nicodeme CH, Dologa M: Computed tomography of sponges retained after laparotomy.J Comput Assist Tomogr 5:187–189, 1981Google Scholar
- 6.De Witte CL, Dony A, Serste JP: Textilome de l'hypochondre droit.J Belge Radiol 58:369–370, 1975Google Scholar
- 7.Liebowitz D, Valentino LA: Exogenous peritonitis.J Clin Gastroenterol 6:45–49, 1984Google Scholar
- 8.Gayle WR, Bragg DG, Nelson JA: Gossypiboma: the problem of the retained surgical sponge.Radiology 129:323–326, 1978Google Scholar
- 9.Revesz G, Siddiqi TS, Buchheit WA, Bonitatibus M: Detection of retained surgical sponges.Radiology 149:411–413, 1983Google Scholar
- 10.Barriga P, Garcia C: Ultrasonography in the detection of intra-abdominal retained surgical sponges.J Ultrasound Med 3:173–176, 1984Google Scholar