Barium enema utilization within a defined geographic region: A survey
- 26 Downloads
All 118 hospital-based radiology departments in Indiana (USA) responded to a survey of barium enema (BE) utilization. The percentage of community hospitals in Indiana using barium enema, both single contrast (SCBE) and double contrast (DCBE), for various indications was similar to that reported for major medical centers around the world (RF Thoeni and AR Margulis,Radiology, 167:7–12, 1988). The use of SCBE and DCBE did not differ between small and large hospitals, or between hospitals in small vs large communities. There was, however, wide variation among community hospitals in their overall use of either contrast technique. Barium enema was usually performed without antecedent sigmoidoscopy. However, 60% of Indiana hospitals perform BE on the same day as flexible sigmoidoscopy.
The results indicate that the use of BE in community hospitals in Indiana is similar to that reported for major medical centers. Also like major medical centers, there is no consensus regarding many issues in the performance of BE.
Key wordsBarium enema, techniques and applications Abdomen, radiography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Thoeni RF, Margulis AR: The state of radiographic technique in the examination of the colon: a survey in 1987.Radiology 167:7–12, 1988Google Scholar
- 2.American Hospital Association Guide to the Health Care Field, 1986 Edition. pp A84–A89Google Scholar
- 3.Margulis AR, Thoeni RF: The present status of the radiologic examination of the colon.Radiology 167:1–5, 1988Google Scholar
- 4.Gelfand DW, Chen YM, Ott DJ: Detection of colonic polyps on single-contrast barium enema study: emphasis on the elderly.Radiology 164:333–337, 1987Google Scholar
- 5.Thoeni RF, Margulis AR: The state of radiographic technique in the examination of the colon: a survey.Radiology 127:317–323, 1978Google Scholar
- 6.Baker SR, Alterman DD: False-negative barium enema in patients with sigmoid cancer and coexistent diverticula.Gastrointest Radiol 10:171–173, 1985Google Scholar
- 7.Vellacott KD, Amar SS, Hardcastle JD: Comparison of rigid and flexible sigmoidoscopy with double contrast barium enema.Br J Surg 69:399–400, 1982Google Scholar
- 8.Rex D, Lehman G, Lappas J, Miller R: Sensitivity of double-contrast barium study for left colon polyps.Radiology 158:69–72, 1986Google Scholar
- 9.Lappas JC, Miller RE, Lehman GA, Eskridge JM, Morton JA: Postendoscopy barium enema examinations.Radiology 149:655–658, 1983Google Scholar
- 10.Rodney WM, Randolph J, Peterson DW: Cancellation rates and gas scores for air contrast barium enema immediately after 65-cm flexible sigmoidoscopy.J Clin Gastroenterol 10:311–314, 1988Google Scholar