Lymphoma in the wall of the bile ducts: Radiologic imaging
- 49 Downloads
Extranodal lymphoma is not uncommon; however, lymphomatous involvement of the wall of the bile duct is rare, with only a few case reports available. Three cases were imaged with computed tomography (CT) and direct cholangiography at our institution. In one, Hodgkin disease recurred in the duct wall, producing a radiographic pattern indistinguishable from sclerosing cholangitis. In another, central sclerosis on cholangiography was associated with a separate liver mass identified by CT. This presentation of non-Hodgkin lymphoma mimicked cholangiocarcinoma. The third patient had multifocal, diffuse histiocytic lymphoma arising in the gallbladder and cystic duct, as well as in the kidneys and pancreas. Although the condition is unusual, the diagnosis of lymphoma in the bile duct wall should be considered, particularly when the cholangiographic picture of diffuse central sclerosis is associated with little or no observable mass on CT.
Key wordsLymphoma, extranodal Bile duct obstruction Cholangiocarcinoma, differential diagnosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bouroncle BA, Old JWJr, Vasques AG: Pathogenesis of jaundice in Hodgkin's disease.Arch Int Med 110:872–883, 1962Google Scholar
- 2.Levitan R, Diamond HD, Craver LF: Jaundice in Hodgkin's disease.Am J Med 30:99–111, 1961Google Scholar
- 3.Botha JB, Kahn LB: Primary lymphoma of the gallbladder: case report and review of the literature.S Afr Med J 48:1345–1348, 1974Google Scholar
- 4.Van Slyck EJ, Schuman BM: Lymphocytic lymphosarcoma of the gallbladder.Cancer 30:810–816, 1972Google Scholar
- 5.Gillespie JJ, Ayala AG, MacKay B, Silliman YE: Diagnosis of lymphoma from a cholecystectomy specimen: case report and review of the literature.South Med J 70:353–354, 1977Google Scholar
- 6.Ochoa JI, Keene WR: Obstructive jaundice in Hodgkin's disease due to infiltration of the biliary ducts.J Fla Med Assoc 57:21–23, 1970Google Scholar
- 7.Nguyen GK: Primary extranodal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the extrahepatic bile ducts.Cancer 50:2218–2222, 1982Google Scholar