MR imaging of malignant mesenchymal tumors of the liver
- 45 Downloads
Magnetic resonance (MR) features of five primary malignant mesenchymal neoplasms (plasmocytoma, leiomyosarcoma, undifferentiated sarcoma, epithelioid hemangioendothelioma, and angiosarcoma) of the liver were reported. All tumors were hypointense on T1-weighted images and hyperintense on T2-weighted images. No halo and intravenous extension were noted. A target appearance was revealed in epithelioid hemangioendothelioma. MR findings of angiosarcoma were essentially the same as those of cavernous hemangiomas (markedly hyperintense with hypointense linear septa on T2-weighted images). MR findings of these rare hepatic malignancies were nonspecific, although they were quite different from those of typical hepatocellular carcinomas. This study suggested that MR differentiation of primary hepatic mesenchymal tumors from other common benign and malignant neoplasms was difficult; however, the number of studied cases was limited.
Key wordsLiver neoplasms, diagnosis Liver neoplasms, MR studies Liver, MR studies Sarcoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ishak KG. Malignant mesenchymal tumors of the liver. In: Okuda K Ishak KG eds.Neoplasms of the liver. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, Tokyo: Springer-Verlag, 1987:159–176Google Scholar
- 2.The Liver Cancer Study Group of Japan. Survey and follow-up study of primary liver cancer in Japan—report 8.Kanzou 1988;29:1619–1626Google Scholar
- 4.Ros PR, Olmsted WW, Dachman AH, Goodman ZD, Ishak KG, Hartman DS. Undifferentiated (embryonal) sarcoma of the liver: radiologic-pathologic correlation.Radiology 1986;160:141–145Google Scholar
- 7.Tashiro K, Matumoto T, Hirata K et al. A case report of primary leiomyosarcoma of the liver with specific growth type.Kanzou 1990;31:804–810Google Scholar
- 13.Okada Y, Itai Y, Ohtomo K, Kokubo T, Yoshida H, Sasaki Y. MR differentiation of hepatic hemangioma and hepatocellular carcinoma: value of delayed phase of gadolinium-enhanced images.Rofo (in press)Google Scholar
- 16.Ohtomo K, Itai Y, Furui S, Yoshikawa K, Yashiro N, Iio M. MR imaging of portal vein thrombus in hepatocellular carcinoma.J Comput Tomogr Assist 1985;9:328–329Google Scholar
- 18.Okada Y, Ohtomo K, Itai Y, Sasaki Y. MR imaging of metastatic tumors of the liver.Gazou Shinndann 1990;10:1305–1312Google Scholar