Diagnostic retrospective in pancreaticobiliary imaging: Ultrasound and ERCP
Seventy-three patients underwent both endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) and ultrasound examinations over a 2 1/4-year period. The results of both examinations are compared and evaluated. Ultrasound was found to be more sensitive for gallbladder disease and also was able to reveal abnormalities outside of the pancreaticobiliary system. ERCP was best for ductal abnormalities because dilatation was unnecessary for visualization by this method.
Key wordsBiliary tract, diagnosis ERCP Pancreas, abnormalities Ultrasound, hepatobiliary diseases
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Howland M, Warwick F, Kalantzis N, Bragange J: Relative efficiency and predictive value of endoscopic retrograde pancreatography in diagnosis of pancreatic disease.Lancet 1:190–193, 1981Google Scholar
- 2.Cotton PB, Lees WR, Vallon QA, Cottone M, Croker JR, Chapman M: Gray scale ultrasonography and endoscopic pancreatography in pancreatic diagnosis.Radiology 134:453–459, 1980Google Scholar
- 3.Blackshear J: Current uses of endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography.J Arkansas Med Soc 76:351–352, 1980Google Scholar
- 4.Lawson TL, Irani JK, Stock M: Detection of pancreatic pathology by ultrasonography and endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography.Gastrointest Radiol 3:335–341, 1978Google Scholar
- 5.Addison NV: The clinical value of ultrasound in biliary tract and pancreatic disease.Ann R Coll Surg Engl 61:448–451, 1979Google Scholar
- 6.Feinberg S, Schreiber D, Goodale R: Comparison of ultra-sound pancreatic scanning and endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatograms: a retrospective study.J Clin Ultrasound 5:96–98, 1976Google Scholar
- 7.Yoshimoto S, Ohnishi R, Doi S, Kawaik K: Endoscopic retrograde parenchymography.Radiology 141:219–222, 1981Google Scholar
- 8.Rolls P, Halls J, Renner J, Juttner H: Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in pancreatic disease.Radiology 134:347–352, 1980Google Scholar
- 9.Moss AA, Tederle M, Shapiro H, Ohto M, Goldberg H, Korobkin M, Clemett A: The combined use of computed tomography and endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in the assessment of suspected pancreatic neoplasm: a blind clinical evaluation.Radiology 134:159–163, 1980Google Scholar
- 10.Lee JK, Stanley RJ, Melson G, Segel SS: Pancreatic imaging by ultrasound and computed tomography: a general review.Radiol Clin North Am 16:105–116, 1979Google Scholar
- 11.Russel GB, Vallon AG, Braganza JM, Howat HT: Ultrasonic scanning in pancreatic disease.Gut 19:1027–1033, 1978Google Scholar
- 12.Gregg JA, McDonald DG: Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography and gray scale abdominal ultrasound in the diagnosis of jaundice.Am J Surg 137:611–614, 1979Google Scholar