Angiographic evaluation of the abnormal endoscopic pancreatogram
- 20 Downloads
Out of 1,269 pancreatograms, 122 were abnormal. Angiography was performed in these patients. Fifty-five were found to have pancreatic carcinoma. In the remaining 67 patients a false positive angiographic diagnosis of either chronic pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer was made in 11%. In one patient a hemangioma was diagnosed as a pancreatic cyst. The remaining 58 patients all had normal pancreatic angiograms in spite of gross ductal abnormality on endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP). All these patients were followed for an average of 19 months and showed no clinical evidence of pancreatic disease. It is suggested that angiography should be considered a complementary examination to ERCP and is particularly useful to exclude carcinoma when the pancreatogram is abnormal.
Key wordsPancreas, angiography Pancreas, neoplasm ERCP, diagnosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Kreel L: Pancreatic duct calibre and variations on autopsy pancreatography. In H Amacker (ed):Efficacy and Limits of Radiologic Examination of the Pancreas pp 214–218, Georg Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, 1975Google Scholar
- 4.Millbourn E: Calibre and appearance of the pancreatic ducts and relevant clinical problems.Acta Chir Scand 118:286–303, 1959Google Scholar
- 6.Ariyama J: Diagnosis and management of tumours of the pancreas. Proceedings of the 5th Asian-Pacific Congress of Gastroenterology, Gastroenterological Society of Singapore, 1977Google Scholar
- 8.Eisenberg H: Angiography of the pancreas. In S Hilal (ed):Small Vessel Angiography CV Mosby Company, St. Louis, 1973Google Scholar
- 12.Belber JA, Bill K: Fusion anomalies of the pancreatic ductal system: differentiation from pathologic states.Radiology 123:637–642, 1977Google Scholar
- 13.Freeny PC, Ball TJ: Evaluation of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography and angiography in the diagnosis of pancreatic carcinoma.Am J Roentgenol 130:683–691, 1978Google Scholar
- 15.Ariyama J, Shirakabe H, Sumita M: A critical evaluation of ERCP in the diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis (in Japanese).Stomach Intestine 13:917–926, 1978Google Scholar