Amyloidosis of the colon presenting as ischemic colitis: A case report and review of the literature
- 102 Downloads
Review of the English literature revealed 21 cases describing abnormalities on barium enema secondary to amyloidosis of the colon. These cases were categorized as to frequency of specific barium enema findings and distribution within the colon. The most common radiologic findings were luminal narrowing (11 of 21), loss of haustrations (10 of 21), thickened mucosal folds (8 of 21), mucosal nodularity (8 of 21), and ulceration (6 of 21). The most frequent locations of disease within the colon were the descending and rectosigmoid portions (13 of 21). We present a case of primary amyloidosis that demonstrates the findings of bowel wall thickening and luminal narrowing on doublecontrast barium enema and computed tomography (CT). Pathologic examination in our case, in addition to similar observations from the literature, suggests that at least a part of the radiologic changes of colonic amyloid can be attributed to bowel ischemia.
Key wordsColon, amyloidosis Ischemic colitis, diagnosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Benditt EP, Cohen AS, Costa PP, et al. Guidelines for nomenclature. In: Glenner GG, Costa PP, Freitas AF, eds.Amyloid amyloidosis. Amsterdam:Exerpta Medica, 1980:11–12Google Scholar
- 6.Dahlin DC. Secondary amyloidosis.Ann Intern Med 1949; 31:105–119Google Scholar
- 12.Ritvo M, Litner C. Roentgen manifestations of primary amyloidosis of the colon.AJR 1963; 89:760–765Google Scholar
- 17.Legge DA, Carlson HC, Wollaeger EE. Roentgenologic appearance of systemic amyloidosis involving gastrointestinal tract.AJR 1970; 110:406–412Google Scholar
- 21.Hodgson JR. Miscellaneous diseases of the colon.Semin Roentgenol 1968; 3:94–112Google Scholar
- 23.Chernenkoff RM, Costopoulos LB, Bain GO. Gastrointestinal manifestations of primary amyloidosis.CMAJ 1972; 106:567–569Google Scholar