Radiological detection of colonic dysplasia (precarcinoma) in chronic ulcerative colitis
- 25 Downloads
Epithelial dysplasia occurring in long-standing ulcerative colitis is a precancerous lesion. Macroscopically it has a nodular or villous appearance or may be indistinguishable from the surrounding mucosa. An investigation into the radiological diagnosis of dysplasia, using in vivo and in vitro doublecontrast examinations with magnification radiographic studies, correlated with the histological analysis, has been made in four patients. Characteristic radiological abnormalities have been identified in the areas of the mucosa associated with histologically proven dysplasia. These appearances include nodularity and irregular areas with sharply angulated edges which may represent enlarged areae colonicae. The demonstration of these changes is an indication for endoscopie examination and biopsy of the suspicious area.
Key wordsColitis, ulcerative Colitis, complications Colon, tumor Radiography, magnification technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Edwards FC, Truelove SC: The course and prognosis of ulcerative colitis. Part IV.Gut 5:15–22, 1964Google Scholar
- 2.Devroede GJ, Taylor WF, Sauer WG, et al: Cancer risk and life expectancy of children with ulcerative colitis.N Engl J Med 285:17–21, 1971Google Scholar
- 3.Goldgraber MB, Kirsner JB: Carcinoma of the colon in ulcerative colitis.Cancer 17:657–665, 1964Google Scholar
- 4.Morson BC, Pang LSC: Rectal biopsy as an aid to cancer control in ulcerative colitis.Gut 8:423–434, 1967Google Scholar
- 5.Hultén L, Kewenter J, Åhrén C: Precancer and carcinoma in chronic ulcerative colitis. A histopathological and clinical investigation.Scand J Gastroenterol 7:663–669, 1972Google Scholar
- 6.Myrvold HE, Kock NG, Ahren C: Rectal biopsy and precancer in ulcerative colitis.Gut 15:301–304, 1974Google Scholar
- 7.Riddell RH: The precarcinomatous phase of ulcerative colitis.Curr Top Pathol 63:179–219, 1976Google Scholar
- 8.Yardley JH, Keren DF: “Precancer” lesions in ulcerative colitis, a retrospective study of rectal biopsy and colectomy specimens.Cancer 34:835–844, 1974Google Scholar
- 9.Evans DJ, Pollock DJ: In-situ and invasive carcinoma of the colon in patients with ulcerative colitis.Gut 13:566–570, 1972Google Scholar
- 10.Levin B, Riddell RH: Evaluation of cancer risk in chronic ulcerative colitis: progress report of a prospective study (Abstract).Gastroenterology 72:1088, 1977Google Scholar
- 11.Matsuura K, Nakata H, Takeda N, et al: Innominate lines of the colon.Radiology 123:581–584, 1977Google Scholar