The radiologic manifestations of diabetic gastric neuropathy and its differential diagnosis
- 27 Downloads
The radiologic signs of diabetic gastric neuropathy consist of ineffectual peristalsis, solid gastric residue, elongated sausage-shaped stomach, gastric barium retention, and duodenal bulb atony. This entity is seen in patients with long-term diabetes mellitus under relatively inadequate control with the likelihood of other complications of this disease. The radiologie differential diagnoses include surgical and autovagotomy as well as drug-induced gastric motility disorders. Theories advanced to explain the pathophysiology of this entity are discussed.
Key wordsStomach Diabetic neuropathy Gastric motility disorders
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zitomer BR, Gramm HF, Kozak GP: Gastric neuropathy in diabetes mellitus: clinical and radiologic observations.Metabolism 17:199–211, 1968Google Scholar
- 2.Wooten RL, Meriwether TW: Diabetic gastric atony: a clinical study.JAMA 176:1082–1087, 1961Google Scholar
- 3.Allan TNK, Willson RA, Lee M: Bronchial carcinoma with autovagotomy and bezoar formation.JAMA 237:364–365, 1977Google Scholar
- 4.Kirks DR, Szemes GC: Autovagotomy and gastric bezoar.Gastroenterology 61:96–98, 1971Google Scholar
- 5.Howlett HJ, Barber DC, Ward AS, Perez-Avila CA, Duthie HL: Gastric emptying in control subjects and patients with duodenal ulcer before and after vagotomy.Gut 17:542–550, 1976Google Scholar
- 6.Dotevall G: Gastric emptying in diabetes mellitus.Acta Med Scand 170:423–429, 1961Google Scholar
- 7.Angervall L, Dotevall G, Lehmann KE: The gastric mucosa in diabetes mellitus; a functional and histopathological study.Acta Med Scand 169:339–349, 1961Google Scholar
- 8.Thomas PK, Lascelles RG: The pathology of diabetic neuropathy.Q J Med 35:489–509, 1966Google Scholar
- 9.Winegrad RI: Diabetic neuropathy.N Engl J Med 286:1261–1262, 1972Google Scholar