Carcinoid tumors of the alimentary tract
- 20 Downloads
The angiographic findings of five small intestinal and two colonie carcinoids are described and illustrated, together with a review of the pertinent literature. It is pointed out that the demonstration of a complex of angiographic findings related to the primary site, mesentery, and liver is highly specific. It helps in the preoperative diagnosis as well as in the localization and stage of development of the gastrointestinal carcinoid. The triad of findings is composed of: (a) faint to moderate staining at the primary site; (b) narrowing, obstruction of the distal mesenteric arcade, cluster of irregular kinked vessels, and encasement in the more central areas of mesentery; and (c) hypervascular liver metastasis. The colonic lesions examined are unique in the literature, and exhibited angiographic findings similar to the small bowel carcinoids.
Key wordsSmall intestine, neoplasms Colon, neoplasms Liver, metastases Neoplasms, diagnosis Neoplasms, angiography Carcinoid Argent-affinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reuter SR, Boijsen E: Angiographic findings in two ileal carcinoid tumors.Radiology 87:836–840, 1966Google Scholar
- 2.Boijsen E, Reuter SR: Mesenteric angiography in the evaluation of inflammatory and neoplastic disease of the intestine.Radiology 87:1028–1036, 1966Google Scholar
- 3.Claps RJ, Lande A, Lilienfeld R, Mieza M: Angiographic demonstration of an ileal carcinoid.Radiology 103:87–88, 1972Google Scholar
- 4.Boijsen Kaude J, Tylén U: Radiological diagnosis of ileal carcinoid tumours.Acta Radiol [Diagn] (Stockh) 15:65–82, 1974Google Scholar
- 5.Goldstein HM, Miller M: Angiographic evaluation of carcinoid tumors of the small intestine: The value of epinephrine.Radiology 115:23–28, 1975Google Scholar
- 6.Horsley BL, Baker RR: Fibroblastic response to intestinal carcinoid.Am Surg 36:676–680, 1970Google Scholar
- 7.Anthony PP, Drury RA: Elastic vascular sclerosis of mesenteric blood vessels in argentaffin carcinoma.J Clin Pathol 23:110–118, 1970Google Scholar
- 8.Andersen JB, Madsen B, Skjoldborg H: Angiography in a case of carcinoid tumour in the stomach.Br J Radiol 44:218–220, 1971Google Scholar
- 9.Gold RE, Redman HC: Mesenteric fibrosis simulating the angiographie appearance of ileal carcinoid tumor.Radiology 103:85–86, 1972Google Scholar