Comparison of barium swallow and left gastric angiography in the diagnosis of esophageal varices, with special reference to the management of variceal bleeding
- 38 Downloads
Seventy-five patients with portal hypertension and esophageal varices were studied by means of barium swallow and selective left gastric angiography. The relative merits and limitations of these techniques in demonstrating the presence, extent, and severity of the varices are discussed, with reference to the selection of patients for prophylactic transection of the esophagus to prevent bleeding from the varices.
Key wordsEsophageal varices, bleeding Barium swallow Left gastric angiography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lunderquist A: Pharmacoangiography of the left gastric artery in oesophageal varices.Acta Radiol [Diagn] (Stockh) 15:157–160, 1974Google Scholar
- 2.Reuter, SR, Atkin TW: High-dose left gastric angiography for demonstration of esophageal varices.Radiology 105:513–578, 1972Google Scholar
- 3.Ariyama J, Ikenobe H, Kurosawa A, Takagi N, Ohashi K, Kawai S, Sato M, Sumida M, Shirata I, Shirakabe H: Early diagnosis of carcinoma of the liver, biliary tract and pancreas (in Japanese).Jpn J Clin Med 52:105–111, 1975Google Scholar
- 4.Shirakabe H: Double contrast studies of the stomach. Tokyo: Bunkodo 1971Google Scholar
- 5.Inokuchi K: Present status of surgery for portal hypertension in Japan (in Japanese).Surg Diag Treat 13:1413–1429, 1971Google Scholar
- 6.Sugiura M, Shima F, Ichihara S, Futakawa S, Ishida M: Emergency operation for rupture of esophageal varices (in Japanese).Operation XXVI: 1000–1007, 1972Google Scholar
- 7.Atkins JP: Varices of esophagus. In:Gastroenterology, p. 224, HL Bochus ed, Philadelphia: Saunders 1963Google Scholar
- 8.Dagradi AE, Skorneck AB, Stempien SJ: Problem of diagnosis of esophageal varices: radiologic and endoscopic study.Gastrointest Endosc 8:9–13, 1961Google Scholar
- 9.Cockerill EM, Miller RE, Chernish SM, McLaughlin GC, Rodda BE: Optimal visualization of esophageal varices.AJR 126:512–523, 1976Google Scholar
- 10.Uthgenant H, Strömlid A, Zwad HD: Die Röntgenuntersuchung des Ösophagus in Buscopan-Hypotonie.RÖFO 119:10–16, 1973Google Scholar