Hemangioma of the rectum: CT appearance
An 18-year-old man who had severe recurrent rectal bleeding and hematuria was found to have a diffuse cavernous hemangioma of the rectosigmoid. A computed tomographic (CT) study was indicated to evaluate tumor extension and therapeutic possibilities. CT scanning revealed a large mass with phleboliths throughout the true pelvis and nodular indentations in the rectosigmoid wall involving the dome and posterior wall of the bladder. A nonhomogeneous and subtle enhancement of the lesion was noticed after injection of contrast medium.
Key wordsCavernous hemangiomas Sigmoid colon CT, abdominal Abdomen, calcification Angioma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lyon DT, Mantia AG: Large-bowel hemangiomas.Dis Colon Rectum 27:404–414, 1984Google Scholar
- 2.Pontecorvo C, Lombardi S, Mottola L, Donisi M, DiTuoro A: Hemangiomas of the large bowel. Report of a case.Dis Colon Rectum 26:818–820, 1983Google Scholar
- 3.Chaimoff Ch, Lurie H: Hemangioma of the rectum: clinical appearance and treatment.Dis Colon Rectum 21:295–296, 1978Google Scholar
- 4.Margulis AR: Case 1. Selected cases from the film interpretation session of the Society of Gastrointestinal Radiologists, October 6–11, Maui, Hawaii.Gastrointest Radiol 6:363–364, 1981Google Scholar
- 5.Stening SG, Heptinstall DP: Diffuse cavernous hemangioma of the rectum and sigmoid colon.Br J Surg 57:186–189, 1970Google Scholar
- 6.Ghahremani GG, Kangarloo H, Volberg F, Meyers MA: Diffuse cavernous hemangioma of the colon in the Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome.Radiology 118:673–678, 1976Google Scholar
- 7.Jeffrey PJ, Hawley PR, Parks AG: Coloanal sleeve anastomosis in the treatment of diffuse cavernous hemangioma involving the rectum.Br J Surg 63:678–682, 1976Google Scholar
- 8.Grieco RV, Bartone NF: Roentgen visualization of phleboliths in hemangioma of the gastrointestinal tract.Am J Roentgenol 101:406–408, 1967Google Scholar