The lymphatic route. VIII. Distribution and plasma clearance of recombinant human interleukin-2 after SC administration with albumin in patients
- 19 Downloads
It has been postulated that favouring the absorption of interleukin-2 via lymphatics rather than venous capillaries after subcutaneous adminstration may improve its therapeutic index. We have now evaluated in 12 cancer patients the plasma pharmacokinetic of interleukin-2 either dissolved in water or in 20% albumin solution with an internal cross-over after at least three days. Our data show that when albumin is present, the plasma concentrations of interleukin-2 versus time is increased and swelling at the injection sites is reduced. It remains to be seen whether efficacy improves during a prolonged treatment.
Key wordsalbumin interleukin 2 therapeutic index
Area Under Plasma Curve
Biological Response Modifiers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rosenberg SA, Lotze MT, Muul LM, Chang AE, Avis FP, Leitman S, Linehan WM, Robertson CN, Lee RE, Rubin JT, Seipp CA, Simpson CG, White DE. A progress report on the treatment of 157 patients with advanced cancer using lymphokine-activated killer cells and interleukin-2 or high-dose interleukin-2 alone. New Engl J Med 1987; 316: 889–97.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Sarna GP, Figlin RA, Pertcheck M, Altrock B, Kradjian SA. Systemic administration of recombinant methionyl human interleukin-2 (Ala 125) to cancer patients: clinical results. J Biol Resp Modif 1989; 8: 16–24.Google Scholar
- 8.Bocci V. Distribution, catabolism and pharmacokinetics of interferons. In: Finter NB, Oldham RK, eds. Interferon, Vol. 4:in vivo and clinical studies. Elsevier Science Publishers BV, 1985: 47–72.Google Scholar
- 9.Bocci V, Pessina GP, Paulesu L, Nicoletti C. The lymphatic route. VI. Distribution of recombinant interferon-α2 in rabbit and pig plasma and lymph. J Biol Resp Modif 1988; 7: 390–400.Google Scholar
- 11.Berman M, Weiss MF. SAAM 27. Bethesda, Maryland: National Institute of Health, 1977.Google Scholar
- 12.Bocci V. Metabolism of protein anticancer agents. Pharm Ther 1987; 34: 1–49.Google Scholar
- 13.Bocci V. Evaluation of routes of administration of interferon in cancer: a review and a proposal. Cancer Drug Del 1984; 1: 337–51.Google Scholar
- 14.Oldham RK. Biological response modifiers program. J Biol Resp Modif 1982; 1: 81–100.Google Scholar
- 18.Shau H, Isacescu V, Ibayashi Y, Tokuda Y, Golub SH, Fahey JL, Sarna GP. A pilot study of intralymphtic interleukin-2. I. Cytotoxic and surface marker changes of peripheral blood lymphocytes. J Biol Resp Modif 1990; 9: 71–80.Google Scholar