Relationships between carrier-mediated transport of folate compounds by L1210 leukemia cells: Evidence for multiplicity of entry routes with different kinetic properties expressed in plasma membrane vesicles
- 34 Downloads
Various independent kinetic criteria for indicating multiplicity of carrier-mediated entry of folate compounds into L1210 cell plasma membrane vesicles are studied. We find a marked inconsistency between values for influxKm andKix in reciprocal experiments measuring competition between various folate compounds as well as inconsistent effects of transloading shown for 5-formyltetrahydrofolate influx, but not folic acid influx. These results argue strongly against a one-carrier model for transport of folate compounds. The most straightforward interpretation of our data is that two distinct transport systems mediate entry of folate compounds in L1210 plasma membrane vesicles. If a two-carrier model is correct, then our data indicate that one of the carriers has low capacity and high affinity for folate coenzymes and methotrexate. This system is apparently negligible as a transport route for folic acid. Transtimulation of initial influx by substrates of the low capacity system is obtained following transloading with coenzymes but not by transloading with folic acid. Our data indicate that the second folate transport system postulated by the two-carrier model has a low affinity for all the folate compounds studied. Nevertheless, the putative second system is significant, especially for folic acid transport, because it has a much higher capacity than the first transport system. In contrast to the first system, transloading with any of the folate compounds studied had no effect on initial influx mediated by the second folate transport system. The two systems are also differentially inhibited bypCMBS, DIDS and SITS and the influxVmax for the high-affinity/low-capacity system was altered in a vesicle preparation derived from a methotrexate resistant L1210 cell line.
Key WordsFolate compounds transport multiplicity L1210 cells
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blakely, R.L. 1969. The Biochemistry of Folic Acid and Related Pteridines. pp. 139–181. John Wiley and Sons, N.Y.Google Scholar
- 3.Eilam, Y., Stein, W.D. 1974. Kinetic studies of transport across red cell membranes.Methods Membr. Biol. 2:283–354Google Scholar
- 6.Hissen, P.J., Hilf, R. 1978. Characteristics of proline transport into R3230 AC mammary tumor cells.Biochim. Biophys Acta 408:401–412Google Scholar
- 7.Hochstadt, J., Quinlan, D.C., Rader, R., Li, C.C. 1975. Use of isolated membrane vesicles in transport studies.Methods Membrane Biol. 5:117–126Google Scholar
- 10.Huennekens, F.M., Vitols, K.S., Suresh, M.R., Henderson, G.R. 1981. Transport of folate compounds in L1210 cells: Components and mechanisms.In: Molecular Actions and Targets for Cancer Chemotherapeutic Agents. A.C. Sartorelli, J.S. Lazo and J.R. Bertino, editors. pp. 333–346. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 11.Hutchison, D.J., Robinson, D.J., Martin, D., Ittensohn, D.L., Dillenberg, J. 1963. Effects of selected cancer chemotherapeutic drugs on the survival time of mice with L1210 leukemia: Relative responses of antimetabolite-resistant strains.Cancer Res. 22:57–72Google Scholar
- 12.Jackson, R.C., Niethammer, D., Huennekens, F.M. 1975. Enzyme and transport mechanisms of amethopterin resistance in L1210 mouse leukemia cells.Cancer Biochem. Biophys. 1:151–155Google Scholar
- 20.Sirotnak, F.M. 1980. Correlates of folate analog transport, pharmacokinetics and selective antitumor action.Pharmacol. Ther. 8:71–103Google Scholar
- 21.Sirotnak, F.M., Chello, P.L., Moccio, D.M., Kisliuk, R.L., Combepine, R.L., Gaumont, H., Montgomery, J.A. 1979. Stereospecificity at carbon 6 of formyltetrahydrofolate as a competitive inhibitor of transport and cytotoxicity of methotrexatein vitro.Biochem. Pharmacol. 28:2993–2997PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Sirotnak, F.M., Moccio, D.M., Kelleher, L.E., Goutas, L.J. 1981. Relative frequency and kinetic properties of transport-defective phenotypes among methotrexate-resistant L1210 clonal cell lines derivedin vitro.Cancer Res. 41:4447–4452Google Scholar
- 27.Yang, C.-H., Dembo, M., Sirotnak, F.M. 1982. Two compartment behavior during transport of folate compounds in L1210 cell plasma membrane vesicles.J. Membrane Biol. 68:19–28Google Scholar